As smart electric grid evolves, engineers show how to include solar technologies

Options
RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
Scientists have developed an economically feasible way to store solar energy in existing residential power networks.lt07n78m9CI

More...

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: As smart electric grid evolves, engineers show how to include solar technologies

Did I miss something? All the article seems to say is that energy should be stored in peak generation times and used in times of peak demand. It says that it should be done with a fleet of batteries.

Well, yes, of course. What batteries, though? It reminds me of the Steve Martin joke about how to have a million dollars and never pay taxes. First, you get a million dollars...

Maybe I missed something (which is entirely possible), but what I got out of it is the same stuff we have been saying for years. What is new or revolutionary about that? Storage is the Achilles' Heel of the Smart Grid.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: As smart electric grid evolves, engineers show how to include solar technologies

Yep, I didn't get it either.

An interesting thing on the UK solar forums is how obsessed most people are about using the power they produce. They way the FIT's work there is that you get paid slightly more if you use the power yourself rather than export it. So there is lots of interest in people building devices that will detect export and try and use that power instead, one of the obvious candidates is heating hot water. If fridge manufacturers got in on the game then that would be another neat way to store excess power: cool your fridge slightly more during excess.

Installing a battery based system to do load shifting still isn't economically feasible even with the generous UK fits, but that may become cheaper down the line, e.g. SMA has announced a grid tied inverter that will come with a built in lithium ion battery for this purpose: http://en.sma-sunny.com/2012/08/07/smart-home-with-solar-electricity/
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

It was even more confusing when it first appeared: the post title said something about scientists finding an economically feasible way to store solar electric power. The article in the link was the same as you see now (as I write this).

Sorry, guys; the news feeds are automatic and don't necessarily have any intelligence behind the content. :roll: