Battery Venting

Options
pabloesguapo
pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
Hi guys! Long time no see! I haven't posted anything in a while because I'm out in the desert, on my property, living the homestead dream. ;p. I'll post pics someday...

Still trying to get a building permit from Yavapai County. Man, they are tough. One of the things they want to see is how the batteries are going to be stored, on what kind of rack or shelf, and how they are going to be vented.

Any suggestions? I'll be running 16 Rolls Surrette 6v batteries (found on NAWS's website. Sorry pecking this out on a phone, no link.) The batteries and other equipment willbe stored in a stick built garage type structure.

I was thinking of maybe just using a heavy-duty gorilla type shelving unit, framing out a closet around it, and
just punching a 1 sq ft hole (screened for critter prevention, of course) near the bottom of the wall to the
outside.

Think that'll fly?

-Paul
27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
(2) Outback fx3648 inverters
Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
Mate3s

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Battery Venting

Consider using a Zepher vent fan, along with a votqge controller to turn it on only during gassing voltage. As for the shelving, do a calc on the weights and th number of shelves, and I'm sure some slide rule guys can come up with a number. The question is, re they requiring live load calcs for seismic, or just dead load calcs for the weight. I would think you could erector set som pretty stout racking out of unistrut and some bolts.

Good luck, welcome back and keep in touch,

Tony
  • Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Options

Paul, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I went through the same senario some 10 years ago in Apache county. They started permitting me to death, but when the jokers wanted $150.00 for a permit for me to cut my own weeds, (Land Clearing Permit) well that did it. I wanted to build a two bedroom passive solar home (small, 970 sq. ft.) fully off grid. I went to the Adobe Building school in Marana near Tucson to get the know-how, bought all the adobe equipment, presses, mixers, etc. The permits were too much, and I told them where they could go. I sold all the equipment, the last pieces about two years ago, and gave it up. They can now cut the weeds if they want. I sold the property at a loss, as well as everything else. I got tired of playing their monetary games with them. It didn't just happen to me. They got to several others also. Greedy........!
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking of maybe just using a heavy-duty gorilla type shelving unit

One problem that can arise with shelves is that it may be difficult to keep all the batteries at the same temperature (top shelf warmer). It is very important that all the batteries be at the same temperature.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • pabloesguapo
    pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Options

Ok, just spoke to the solar guy at Yavapai County Svcs. He said bssically they're just checking to make sure you're not putting your batteries in a living area. Ok, fair enough.

He at least verbally OKed the batteries on a heavy duty shelf. No load calcs necessary. I can frame it in like a closet, and then just have to passive ventv at top and bottom.

Easy peasy.
    27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
    24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
    Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
    (2) Outback fx3648 inverters
    Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
    Mate3s
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

I would put 2 vent holes, 1 at the highest part of the building where hydrogen could get trapped. An another at the lower point on a different wall to allow air to flow through.