My Midnite Classic 150 in action..

Options
ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
So I picked up my Classic 150 yesterday.. got 4/29/12 firmware..

I hooked up 2 of my 145w panels in series (aka 24v) to test today going into a 12v battery bank..

This is with 15 feet of PV 10 AWG wire attached to the panel leads..to simulate a real hookup.

Here in NJ and 8:55 am and 86' F I got this number so far.. & the suns not even on the panels all the way..

Looking real good..

Classic855.jpg

Stay tuned for noon and 1 pm readings.. (I put it as resting mode using the solar on/off function)

Comments

• ywhic
    Options
    Re: My Midnite Classic 150 in action..

At 9:45 am and 90'F we have.. (slightly up from the prior 83 watts..) :cool:

Classic945.jpg
  • ywhic
    Options

210 watts and 15 amps at 10:20 am and 93'F.. I'll take it..

Classic1025.jpg

I did putter with other modes (VOC% & Dynamic) and such.. but I ended up back at the Solar setting..
  • ywhic
    Options

Well at 99.4' F and 12:05pm we had 174.2 watts and 13.1 amps

Classic12pm.jpg

A single panel (12v nominal) gave me a measly 74 watts and 5.7 amps..

ClassicSingle.jpg

So heat DOES play a role in the controller and power output..

If I get 13.1 amps * 3 sets for 39.3 amps/hour into my bank when its a 100' F outside I will be very happy..

If went into Absorb and was in FLOAT when I went out at 2:15 to check it..
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ywhic,
    yes, that heat is detrimental to the output of any pv. an mppt controller can only optimize what it is given and remember that we aren't just talking about ambient heat as the sun itself heats up the pvs far above ambient. now i'm not asking you to get one, but if you have an infrared thermometer you can check the pv temps and please don't aim it at the glass as you won't get an accurate reading there.