Looking for adjustable struts for large ground mount

Dusty
Dusty Solar Expert Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
Is there such a thing? I'd like to be able to change the angle of the panels as the sun position changes, but the ground mount I've built is very heavy. Are there adjustable struts available that jack up the panels? Hydraulic would be ok I guess, but I worry about exposure to the elements. I haven't had any luck finding something that would adjust far enough to allow for the necessary change in angle. My ground mount is about 20' long and currently has 6 2x6 fixed struts. They are cut to length to have my panel angle set to my latitude, but I'd like to be able to easily adjust them.
XW6048, 3.4KW PV, Grid-Tied, always tweaking.

Comments

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Looking for adjustable struts for large ground mount

What about using satelite dish actuators.? solarvic
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Everyone I've ever known that does adjustable struts, end up not using them. As modules get less and less expensive, they are even less needed. You have to build something really easy to operate - so just one person (you) can do it, or else it won't happen. That means some kind of complicated mechanical system or hydraulics or something - now it's more costly than its worth. I know the desire to max out your design, but keep it simple (stupid) and strong with a fixed array.
  • Dusty
    solarix wrote: »
    Everyone I've ever known that does adjustable struts, end up not using them. As modules get less and less expensive, they are even less needed. You have to build something really easy to operate - so just one person (you) can do it, or else it won't happen. That means some kind of complicated mechanical system or hydraulics or something - now it's more costly than its worth. I know the desire to max out your design, but keep it simple (stupid) and strong with a fixed array.

You're right--I was looking for something one person could adjust, and since the rails are 24' long, there would have to be multiple struts that could change length at the same time--that's why I was considering hydraulic--or something I could adjust using a floor jack and locking pins.
  • Dusty
    solarvic wrote: »
    What about using satelite dish actuators.? solarvic

I think the weight of the panels and supporting struts would be too much for a solar actuator to handle. The panels are not balanced on a center pivot point like if they were on a top-of-pole mount. Thanks for the suggestion though!

-Dusty