panel array to inverter wiring Question

autoxsteve
autoxsteve Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
I received the plans from the firm spec'ing out and installing my PV sys. I have a question regarding the wire gauge from the array to the inverter.

I am going to have 22 evergreen 190W panels on 2 strings feeding a Fronius 4000 inverter.

their design calls for awg 10 wire from the array to the inverter. I ran

[url=http://www.solarray.com/TechGuides/Downloads/WireSizer.xls
]this wire sizer spreadsheet[/url] and came up with awg 6 as ideal.
I put in about a 40 foot run (that's the shortest I can see) from the array to the inverter.

Am I correct in seeing that awg 6 is the best size (it will also allow me to add 2 panels - 1 per string later to get a little more power)?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Re: panel array to inverter wiring Question

The Evergreen specs:

Max Power Voltage - Vmp 26.7 Vdc
    Open Circuit Voltage - Voc 32.8 Vdc
    Voltage Temp Coeff - Vtoc -0.1148 V/°C
    STC Rating - Pmp 190 Wstcdc
    Max Power Current - Imp 7.12 Adc
    PTC Rating 167.2 Wptc

Or somewhere around 7.12 amps per string...

Using the default settings from the excel solar wiring calculator... 2 strings x 7.12 amps x 267 volt system voltage...

With 40 feet of 10 awg wire, the total power loss is 0.13% (0.045 ohms for 40' of wire at 122F/55C for 0.33 volt drop from arrays to inverter).

Even if it was a 40' run and 80' of wire, the drop would still only be 0.24%--still well under the 3% maximum that everyone tries to stay under...

If this was one run of 40 foot (80' of wire) 10 awg wire (14.14 amps--external combiner at the solar array and a single 10 awg run to the inverter) you would still be under 0.48% power loss...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Your local inspector will probably refer to the NEC to determine code compliance. Accordingly, the wire size calculation should be based on NEC requirements, wire specs, and conditions of use.

* The sub-array string STC Isc is 8.05 A. The NEC maximum circuit current spec is 8.05 X 125% = 10.0625 A.
    * The conductor ampacity must be 125% of the value above, so the design value is 10.0625 A x 125% = 12.6 A
    * Assuming running four wires (two per sub-array) in conduit, an 80% adjustment factor is required.
    * Ambient temperature near a PV array can be as much as 35 C above ambient. The 71 C to 80 C condition-of-use multiplier for derating for wire rated for 90 C applications (i.e., THHN and THWN-2) is 0.41.
    * The wire ampacity should therefore be 12.6 A / (0.8 x 0.41) = 38.4 A.

#10 THHN or THWN-2 is rated for 40 A per NEC 310.16.

Separate calculations may be warranted to achieve a specific maximum voltage drop based on distance. Remember that the wire length is twice the distance between the array and the inverter.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

PS: I slightly messed up on the working voltage... I did 10 panels x 26.7 VDC, it should have been 11 panels x 26.7 vdc = 293.7 VDC.

The correct voltage actually even reduces your percentage losses to a bit less than I posted earlier.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭

If the wire goes in conduit, and it probably needs to for Southern California, it will be considered a wet location, so don't use THWN wire - you'll need THWN-2, or USE-2 is ok. This is assuming you let them use their original #10 wire. At #8, it should no longer be an issue, and certainly will not be an issue with #6. The thing is, you would need to derate the wire for maximum temperature (gets hot where you are), and also for peak current of the array with an additional 25% safety factor, and also for a 25% safety factor required by the NEC. As I recall, our array should have had a peak current of about 14A, but after all the deratings for northern california, we didn't make it in conduit. The inspector tagged it, and I had to pull all the wire and replace it.

It was also difficult to find THWN-2 wire in #10, but #8 was readily available, so we went with that.

With our flagging economy, copper prices have gone up, so expect wire prices to be non-trivial. Except for cost, there isn't a downside to larger wire, within reason.

One other consideration: your inverter terminals may not accept wire as big as #6 - better check.
  • autoxsteve
    autoxsteve Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. They are calling for USE-2 and I think I'm ok with AWG 10. Thanks for the reply tho.