making sure i have correct wiring.

Options
castilloj
castilloj Solar Expert Posts: 208
Hello guys, Im not sure if i asked this already but I have a 11 kw SDMO diesel generator which i Feed into a 100 Amp Square D breaker box.
When The generator is On i Power the first and second floor of my home. When the generator is off i use inverter power only for the second floor.

So i run the the white and black wire from the generator to the top of the breaker box.
I feed the Inverter from the same top of the Breaker box.
I also have the inverter OUT wire hooked up to a Breaker that feeds The second floor. So when the genet turns off the upstairs had Inverter power.
Im also using an Outback 24v inverter using an E-panel box.
Using 4 rolls S600 Batteries (I had 8 but 2 went bad)
I have 8 Trojan L16H Batteries Being shipped which when i received them i will hook up A 48 V Outback inverter.
My question is Do i need a double throw to go from generator to Inverter?
Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: making sure i have correct wiring.

No, you don't need any fancy switching here. Outback has a built-in transfer switch. What you do is run the gen input to the box and then take two 'hot' lines (separate breakers) from there. One goes to the ground floor circuits; it will be active only when the generator is running. The other goes to the Outback's AC IN: when the gen runs the inverter will detect the AC presence and switch loads to it while it acts as a charger for the batteries. With the gen off it will seamlessly go back to supplying the loads from battery power.

Make sure you have a MATE to program the inverter properly and that all the wiring & circuit protection is correct. That's a pretty big gen and it can supply a lot more power than a VFX3524. You need to limit the battery charging current (set in AC Amps which is confusing) so that the inverter's charger doesn't dump the full 80 Amps it's capable of into a 320 Amp hour (or whatever size) battery bank. On the 24 Volt system it's a factor of about 5: 30 Amps DC is roughly 6 Amps AC on the charging limit.
  • Jigme Urgyen
    Jigme Urgyen Registered Users Posts: 13
    Options

you might want a bypass switch to route power around the inverter to the 2nd floor if your doing maintenance or something that's got the power plant offline, but its not needed.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you might want a bypass switch to route power around the inverter to the 2nd floor if your doing maintenance or something that's got the power plant offline, but its not needed.

Jigme, The outback is on an E-panel which, if wired correctly, has a bypass switch.

Castilloj, I am confused about what you are trying to hook up. You wrote that you have a 24 volt outback on a midnite E-panel. You also wrote that you are getting new batteries and will hook them up to a 48 volt outback inverter. Are you going to run two systems? Will the 48 volt inverter be on an E-panel? Cariboocoot pointed out that the Outback has a built-in transfer switch. I pointed out that E-panels have a bypass switch.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i