Electric rate increase

Electric rates in the NE increased last year. Now they're saying they're about to increase again. Anyone know if this is local or if it is more widespread?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/electric_bills_slated_to_rise.html

A significant portion of the increase is in the transmission cost. I'm wondering how transmission costs are effected if for grid tied PV systems?

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Electric rate increase

If your true net-meter, the higher the rates the quicker the payback on the purchase price.
  • dale
    dale Solar Expert Posts: 29

Solar Guppy,
    I'm not sure what true net metering is. I've heard recently that excess electric produced can be used at the same rate. But selling the excess is impractical since you'll only get a small amount, but does qualify for solar credits.
  • Solar Guppy

almost all states have netmetering, for your state check out

http://www.dsireusa.org/index.cfm

Netmetering is where a user is credited at the same rate consumption. If the PV makes more energy, the meter credits spins backwards ( mechanical meter ) or if digital has the ability to count energy sold. Usally, the credit and purchase price is the same for kWh

http://www.dsireusa.org/glossary/glossary.cfm?&CurrentPageID=8&EE=1&RE=1#net
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

PA is bracing for a 20-30% increase in 2009-10. I has me looking at a grid-tied system in the very near future.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

In the UK nearly every utility company has raised gas and electricity prices between 18 and 22 % in the last 6 weeks.

In Spain 15 kg bottled LPG has gone from 8 euros to 13 euros a bottle since May 2005.

The only way is up for energy and the price jumps always seem to be double digits. 2 or 3 times a year.

Get your PVs before the gold rush !:cry:
  • dale

Thanks to everyone for their comments. The net metering sounds like it works good and is the way to go.

I had to sign up for the rebate in 2006 and should get them up by mid April. The installer, who has been great, uses 18 - Sharp 170's with a Xantec GT3.0. Anyone have any comments on this configuration?

I'm not sure if he has flexibility to get other panels/inverters, but if there are serious short comings I could ask.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

I have 20x175watt BP Solar panels on a Xantrex GT 3.0 for 2.5 years... Been ticking along just fine at about 4,800 kWhrs per year (just south of San Francisco CA).

My inverter is in our garage--which tends to be cool (insulated and shaded) and the heat sink never gets too warm to put your hand on.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dale

BB,
    Thanks. Being in CA you must get some great sun and efficiency. It's good to see that you stay interested in this subject. Could you, or others, describe the maintenance a grid tie system requires? Should you clean the panels periodically to remove dust, etc?

The GT string sizing on the Xantrex website shows the number of panels that can be supported. Would there be a problem adding a couple of panels later provided it's withing the temp/max power limits? Are there configuration changes or does the inverter handle this automatically?

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/172/p/1/pt/23/product.asp

Thanks again to one and all.
  • Solar Guppy

Maintanance is zero, if you want a few more watts, clean the panels every few weeks if you dont have rain often. You can add panels at anytime as long as the string calculator indicates its within the inverters limits and there is no programming on the inverter, it figures out the best operational point on a second by second basis ( mppt )
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

What Solar Guppy said...

I have occasionally used a hose from the ground and once used a brush (with a hose end window sprayer product) to clean the panels--but I cannot really see any difference in power output vs the normal day to day variations that you get in air quality and temperature.

There must be a 5-10% loss due to dirty panels--but since my panels are on the top of a 2nd story roof--it is just not worth pulling out the ladder to clean. Now, about the only time I go up is if there are leaves stuck on the panels--which hardly ever happens.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dale

BB and SG,
    That is good news on adding panels and the maintenance. It's really nice to be able to benefit from what you've learned.

Dale
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    dale wrote: »
    Electric rates in the NE increased last year. Now they're saying they're about to increase again. Anyone know if this is local or if it is more widespread?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/electric_bills_slated_to_rise.html

A significant portion of the increase is in the transmission cost. I'm wondering how transmission costs are effected if for grid tied PV systems?

My utility company (Ameren), is trying to raise rates also.

John