Pocket/portable amp hour tester?

Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
I've seen this at least once where a guy walked over to a battery bank with something akin to a multimeter with battery clips and was able to test a battery (or bank) and determine its total available amp hours with a simple 15 second test. Anyone know what these are and where to get a hold of them?

I've seen these things before, but they're designed to be installed into the system. I just want one that can be carried around in my pocket and used in much the same way you'd use a multimeter.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Pocket/portable amp hour tester?

Only thing I can think of that would do this is a load tester like this: http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8016416/Electrical/100A-Battery-Load-Tester
    It won't fit in your pocket - unless you're a kangaroo. :D
  • Steven Lake

haha. Yeah, it is a bit big. I wonder if that could tell you the amp hours. Either way, you can immediately see the issue I'm running into. The odd part is, UPS's have something kinda similar to this, although theirs only gives you minutes of runtime, and not AH remaining. :( I'm mostly after the AH remaining meter in a mobile form as it'd make testing capacity easier without having to wire every single system with one of those in line meters.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

The battery load testers I've seen (and own) simply place a 100A load on the battery. Wait "x" seconds, read the meter. Basically a go/no go gauge. Doesn't give specific numbers, and 15 seconds wouldn't tell you anything on my 900AH battery bank.

What I use is a LinkPRO. It's not portable, but it is accurate. Uses a 500A shunt, and measures all the current going in/out of the battery bank. You tell it what size bank it is, it'll tell you time remaining, and number of AH used, based on its measurements.

I'm thinking this device you speak of is nothing more than a load, with a voltmeter. Based on the voltage under load for "x" seconds, it'll guess a capacity. I would bet this method would be highly inaccurate.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this at least once where a guy walked over to a battery bank with something akin to a multimeter with battery clips and was able to test a battery (or bank) and determine its total available amp hours with a simple 15 second test. Anyone know what these are and where to get a hold of them?

Are you sure about that? I don't know of a way to test a battery to determine Amp-hours contained, just whether the battery can supply current to a load. The way charge controllers determine Amp-hours remaining is by starting with a fully charged battery of known capacity and monitoring what goes in and out of it through a shunt.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone is using some version (or corruption) of MidNite's Solar Battery Capacity Meter?
    The thing is, that too is meant to be attached and left connected to "known good" batteries over time.

Don't know of any way to determine actual battery capacity just by attaching a meter, much less doing so in 15 seconds.

Sounds like a scam. :roll:
  • Steven Lake

Hmm, sounds like what I'm looking for doesn't exist. Ah well. I figured that if one did it'd be nice, but I guess I'd have to go with the Linkpro 2manytoyz suggested.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i seem to recall many many moons ago seeing some mechanic at sears using something like you describe. it would not be to manufacturer's test specs, but may give you a relative idea of how a battery is doing. remember they only want to determine if it will kick over a car.
  • Steven Lake

Yeah, good point, and I'm out to determine total available amp hours. Hmm, I might need to keep looking around for something that'll work. Of course, in the end I may just be forced to kludge something together. lol. What's funny is, I usually do.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

The 100A Battery Load Tester, is a waste of $. Crap-tube & Princess + harbour all sell these toys.

Like this one ?
    pbt-50_web_398tall.jpg
    This Professional Battery Tester tool is as good as the Professional Tradesman using it. I have a few Battery testers , Hydrometer,carbon load , to a few of these.

There are Smaller units , plus ones with paper printers for keeping / selling records.

VT