Solar Heating setup

Options
Hello everyone, here is a solar-heating system ive been working on... Its still in the prototype stage. -Not exactly Solar-Elecric, but it will have PV's charging batteries to run the pump and fans to distribute the heat through the house.

http://massive.galacticengine.com/Solar001.html

I was hoping to get it all done this year, but Winter is almost over. Next year hopefully it will be complete!

Comments

• Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar Heating setup

Nice. Small, simple, cheap system for a small, simple, cheap place to live. If I were a single man, that would be the perfect setup :cool:. Well, perfect except for that unsightly wire hanging off the pole next to the place. Think I'd still have a wood backup though, for those days when the weather isn't cooperating. And, when you make the system bigger think about putting in a large, heavily insulated tank to store hot water. Yesterday's sun can be this morning's hot shower. ;)
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

that is awesomely simple. i have not yet looked to far into solar thermal so this was fun to look at not to mention your line about old man winter had me LOL..

(aside from the newer vacuum tube types), is this basically what you have for a panel type on retail solar thermal panels anyone?

i would imagine THE PUMP AMPERAGE IS QUITE LOW...any specs on that or did i miss it?

more thoughts re heat exchange, whats your barrel made of? imagine it would help if its good heat conductor like copper (though super costly). ive seen people run underfloor heationg off solar to assist in heating, whats your thoughgts on heat loss that way vs your barrel? wonder if the added mass is better?

I really want to do something like this but might start with a retail newer panel as i currently wouldnt have time to build it, though it looks fun.
  • VolcanoSolar
    VolcanoSolar Solar Expert Posts: 56
    Options

Interesting!

I'm building a house with radiant-heat in the floors, heated primarily by three Heliodyne panels on the roof, which will also supply hot water for regular use. Propane backup for when the tank isn't hot enough.

No snow though! It's in an upland/cool part of Hawaii, so maybe it's overkill, but we're fighting mold and mildew all the time so hopefully it'll keep the house just warm enough to where it stays dry.

I like your low-tech approach; when I started planning this I was going to build my own rooftop panels but then read about various efficiencies that only manufactured panels can give.

At this point my system is still a maze of hypotheses -- I have yet to fire it up for the first time.

- Ted
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks Everyone for the good feedback!

Telco: Agreed Agreed Agreed,
    this summer, i intend to build a panel for solar hot water heating, and use this;
    http://www.butlersunsolutions.com/html/pr_solar_heat_exchagne_wand-46-reg.html
    I think a backup heat source like you say is necessary -in December we had 8 straight days of ZERO Sun -Kind of a fluke, but ruthless just the same.
    Lamplight: Im using an El-Sid PV-5 pump (5 watts ??18vdc-0.28a??). Its the version meant to be run off of a PV panel. They last forever and are made to handle the heat.
    This pump is too slow... Im pouring in WAY more than 5 watts (hasnt died?!?) and its still too slow. The PV-5 was meant for very small systems. Ive got an El-Sid 20 watt 'black magic' pump still waiting to be connected thats supposed to be good.

The Barrel is just a 55g Steel drum (i got 2, but ony 1 hooked up right now). Like you say i think Copper or something would be much better, although theres plenty of surface-area on the drum and it does transfer heat into the air quite well. The drums were used and unpainted -rust is a problem and ive been trying different paints. Epoxy is the ultimate solution as it can handle monster temperatures. If i had to do it over again (which maybe i will) -i would get new barrels with the epoxy coating already there -OR BETTER YET; weld together my own stainless-steel box with custom dimensions!!!
    VolcanoSolar: AAaaahhhh Hawaii! You are so lucky to live there! I want to hear how your radiant-floors work...
  • Telco
    Options

Hmm, don't much care for the idea of pumping antifreeze through the hot water heater. If the pipe were to become damaged or corroded (a possibility when the antifreeze breaks down) you might wind up drinking antifreeze in the water. If you use this, I'd seriously look into a heat exchanger loop between the antifreeze loop and the hot water heater. It won't take that much more to install, and it will allow you to have a safer water supply. Mount the heat exchanger to the wall right next to the water heater, and the residual heat that leaks from the water heater will keep the clean no-antifreeze-having water loop from freezing. Not quite as simple, but safety is #1, #2, and #3 in my mind.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

telco,
    that is why it is a double wall design to prevent a direct path between antifreeze and pottable water.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm pretty sure, even with the double wall, code requires the use on the non-toxic form of antifreeze
  • Telco
    Options

Yes, I read about the double wall. I still don't like the idea of antifreeze being pumped through the water heater, even the non-toxic stuff. Course then, that's just me. I plan to install a loop separating the antifreeze mix from the potable water.

Two heat exchangers inside of a heavily insulated box with clear tubing and an electric circulation pump, with a door for easy inspection should exchange heat with almost no loss at all, yet allow a quick check by examining the color of the fluid in the loop for contamination.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

RV type of anti-freeze would be the safest. It is made for use in portable water water systems in mobile/RV homes. Used it for years, with its oder/taste you will know very quickly if there was a leak.