Activating a strobe or alarm when voltage is low?

Hi there, I'm new to the forums and have a question for anybody that knows the answer. I've tried searching the forums, but couldn't find any topics that might cover this.

I'm trying to create an early warning system for a solar powered device in the field that will activate an audible alarm or strobe light prior to the low voltage disconnect of our Morningstar TriStar 45. I've been reading the manual for the Morningstar Relay Driver, but it isn't clear if you can set an output state to 'ON' based on a LOW threshold and 'OFF' based on a HIGH threshold. For example, turn a strobe light on prior to LVD at 11.8 and off at 12.0. If it is possible, then it seems like this device would be our answer.

Does anyone know if this is possible with this device, or have any other suggestions on hardware that could accomplish the same task? Thanks for any feedback!

-Ben

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Activating a strobe or alarm when voltage is low?

I don't know about programming the MorningStar--But if you are interested in setting an alarm based on battery state of charge--There are a couple battery monitors that can be programmed to "turn on" at 50% and turn off at 75% (for example).

Xantrex Link Lite
    Victron Battery Monitor

In many ways, if you can configure a battery monitor to do what you want--it will be a lot more accurate.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset