Best Bang for the Buck?

Options
TommyL
TommyL Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello!

Tommy Here!

New to the forum!

New to solar harvesting.

Would like to get the most watts per square meter.

And is there an all in one system for backup...
Example: Battery Storage/Inverter (for supply of 120/240)/Charge controller/Generator start?

Thank you kindly
and nice to meet you!

Tommy L sends...

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Best Bang for the Buck?

Hi Tommy, welcome to the form.
    Re "most watts per square meter", is there some reason you need to go this route rather than the most watts per $?
    If your space is very limited, then you may well have to go that way, but if you have space, you would be better off going with watts per $.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mono crystalline is more watts than pollys.. My 190 watt suntec mono is only marginally bigger than my BP 125 watt polly crystalline's.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i also doubt you will find an all in one answer to your needs. peoples needs and requirements vary and even if they didn't there is a variety of products that can fill the same needs. i'm assuming that you are looking for a simplified answer due to your inexperience and knowledge of the subject. before you make any purchases i do encourage you to read up on things and there's plenty of that here for you to read. of course you can still ask questions, but you will find that you need to start with what it is you want to power in watts and for how long and in what configuration in relation to the grid and/or generator. a simple meter called a kill-a-watt can help find some of those answers.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/kiacpomome.html
    once the basis of the loads needed are determined then the rest can slowly be addressed for possible options.
  • 65DegN
    65DegN Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options

The actual performance in the real world can be more important than module effeciency ratings. A company called Photon Labs does the testing. I have been watching this for a while and REC (Renewable Energy Corp. out of Norway) has been on top for a couple years.
    http://www.recgroup.com/Documents/REC_factsheet_Photon2012_ENG_lr.pdf