needed to power in winter?

Options
FreeBrrd
FreeBrrd Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭✭✭
Could someone calculate how many panels, batteries, etc. to power a small freezer in mid winter in northern montana? I am brain damaged and can't do the calc. right now. I am looking for property and just need to keep enough money out to buy what I need for solar. Actually I probaby will not need to use the freeqer in winter :D

A dollar amount would work better for me than other figures - need all parts included. I'm trying to figure minimum needed when solar at it's worst.

Thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: needed to power in winter?

Assuming a minimum of 1.5 kWH per day (a freezer in winter may use much less). Note that the farther west you go in Montana, the worse your winter sun will be. Missoula Mnt is around 1.74 hours per day for December, Miles City is around 3 hours per day for December.

PV Watts for Helena Mnt with a 1,000 watts (1kW) of panel, 0.52 eff for off grid use, minimum of 1.5 kWH per day:
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Helena"
    "State:","Montana"
    "Lat (deg N):", 46.60
    "Long (deg W):", 112.00
    "Elev (m): ", 1188
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.520"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.5 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 46.6"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:"," 7.9 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 2.80, 46, 3.63
    2, 3.65, 53, 4.19
    3, 5.17, 81, 6.40
    4, 5.00, 75, 5.93
    5, 5.44, 80, 6.32
    6, 5.74, 79, 6.24
    7, 6.70, 94, 7.43
    8, 6.18, 88, 6.95
    9, 5.54, 78, 6.16
    10, 4.52, 69, 5.45
    11, 3.25, 49, 3.87
    12, 2.49, 40, 3.16
    "Year", 4.71, 831, 65.65

You would need for an average December to power 1.5 kWH per day:
    • 1.5 kWH per day * 31 days 1/40 kWH per month per 1 kW of panels = 1.2 kW (1,200 Watts) of solar panels

Battery size:
    • 1,500 WH per day * 1/24 volt battery bank * 1/0.85 inverter losses * 2 days no sun * 1/0.50 max discharge = 294 AH @ 48 volt battery bank

1,200 Watts of solar panels = ~ $2,400
    4 x Trojan L16RE-A 325 AH Deep Cycle Battery = ~$1,836
    Magnum Energy MS4024 4000 Watt Sine Wave inverter w/charger = ~ $2,100 (very conflicted about Inverter choice)
    Misc including/racking/electrical/breakers/etc. = ~$3,000
    Shipping = ?????
    ======================================
    Total = ~$10,000 + shipping

Should get at least a Honda eu2000i genset for ~$1,000

My guess... Parts above are just some place holders. Retail pricing from our Host (I am not in the solar biz or connected with our host).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I keep one of my freezers in an outbuilding, and because of the low temperature differential between inside and outside of the freezer, it rarely runs in Winter, and it's consumption thus drops way, way down. It's been out there forgoing on 10 years.
    Some of the older freezers wouldn't tolerate such cold temps, as it seems they had a larger freon charge, which would sometimes pool as liquid in the compressor if it hadn't been running for a while. The result was then banging and death snapping as the compressor tried to compress liquid freon. Been there. My Uncle however, has a 40 year old freezer that's been living in an unheated shed for those same 40 years, with no problem at all. His too greatly reduces it's power consumption during Winter.
    Some will say it's a total no no to have a freezer live in such cold spaces, but it's a very common thing in these parts, and for good reasons. Of course most electrical utilities would encourage the freezer living in a warm place year round, just like they used to preach that it was cheaper to leave lights on 24/7, than it was to turn them off when not in use. Go figure.
  • FreeBrrd
    Options

Thanks

I'm just trying to figure a minimum amount I need to not spend on land and have enough power at the worst place & time.

I had a Honda EU2000 to run my sewing machine at the race track so I could do leathers repair. Had to sell it but really like it. Plan to get two if I am able.

I will post a link to what I am looking for in land. Don't want to put an ad here.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unless that man owns a motorcycle.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • FreeBrrd
    Options

When I had nice Italian cars, I never got to drive when I was dating so he'd have to have 2 motorcycles.

I had to give my new CBR600F4i up because of the RoundUp being sprayed on all the roads, parks, etc. causing brain damage so I should change picture & sig.
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options

I'm lucky, round up changed my brain so now I'm using solar power to boil down Maple sap to make pure Solar Maple syrup.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm lucky, round up changed my brain so now I'm using solar power to boil down Maple sap to make pure Solar Maple syrup.
    Anyone up your way (off grid) using reverse osmosis?
    We're having a pretty poor maple syrup year over here. Not much of a winter, and everything seems early. The sap season is ending in mid march, weeks earlier than usual. Perhaps the sap was running before anyone tapped.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Anyone up your way (off grid) using reverse osmosis?
    We're having a pretty poor maple syrup year over here. Not much of a winter, and everything seems early. The sap season is ending in mid march, weeks earlier than usual. Perhaps the sap was running before anyone tapped.
    --vtMaps

I personally don't know of anyone using RO, but it most likely is happening on bigger maple farms.
    The season here is very short here this year due to weather/season conditions. One guy almost doubled the # of trees tapped and yet is getting less sap than he got last year. The sap is getting cloudy already and there's a lot more "sugar sand" than usual. Hope for better next year.
    Sorry to get off topic. We will not continue with this topic here.