Trojan T1275 or T-105

Options
intel415
intel415 Solar Expert Posts: 31
Hi guys, I can get these batteries locally. Used ones are so cheap they are half the price of new ones very tempted :D. what do you guys prefer on these battery setup for a 12v system single or 2 x 6v in series? budget, space etc don't matter.

My solar setup will be for now
one >200 solar panel
12v trojan battery single or 2 x 6 in series?
morningstar mppt 45A
morningstar 300 pure sinewave inverter

Let me what you guys think, im going to pick the battery soon.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Trojan T1275 or T-105

i would say either battery may work. bad thing is you don't know the real condition of those used batteries. some of these things can help you in determining viability as if it is no good it won't matter how cheap it is.

you need to see the date on it to determine its age.

you need to look into the electrolyte and if murky it may be bad. also the levels and specific gravity have to be observed.

how long ago was it charged and was it float charged?

what were they used for before?

what kind of voltage you see from them too as getting more than 1 battery means trying to match voltages and specific gravities to keep them balanced with each other.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    intel415 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I can get these batteries locally. Used ones are so cheap they are half the price of new ones very tempted :D. what do you guys prefer on these battery setup for a 12v system single or 2 x 6v in series? budget, space etc don't matter.
    Before you choose a battery you should define your load (peak demand and kwh per day) and days of autonomy. Then you figure out your system voltage and battery ampHours. Then you choose your panels, charge controller and inverter. If you don't do it in that order your next post will be asking for help to figure out why your system isn't working right.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For sure I'd be VERY wary of used batteries and unless you truly know their life history and carefully check each cell for SG and each battery for resting voltage, would never pay more than their scrap value, because unfortunately that's usually what used batteries are. Scrap.