I need a very specific module size

Options
I am in need of a frameless cSi module no greater than 2'x4' and I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. Does anyone know any way I can get ahold of one?
Thanks!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: I need a very specific module size

Are those "hard" numbers? That is around an 85 watt panel:

Solartech 85 Watt Multicrystalline Solar Module
    • Length x Width x Depth (inches) 39.9 x 26.3 x 1.38
    One person here got some custom packaged frameless solar panels for his RV (glue to roof).

I do worry that non-glass panels will not last very long (plastic flexes and eventually leaks after a few years?).

You might find some thin film panels (intended for roofing shingles), but thin film is about 1/2 as efficient as crystalline solar panels--so you might as well get a 40 watt panel and put it on the roof.

Note, the ones I am pointing at are aluminum framed panels--If you removed the frame, the warranty will be void (I am sure).

You also might want to try www.sunelec.com out of Miami FL. They have many odd lot panels and may have something that fits your needs (you will probably have to call them--there website does not list the specifications for many of the smaller panels).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • AvondalePV
    AvondalePV Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options

I can do smaller just not much larger. Thanks for the resources, so far I have found a bunch of marine modules, they tend to be on the pricey side, problably due to being able to survive in the salt-water enviroment.
  • AvondalePV
    Options

So far I found this, but of course I, nor anyone I have talked to have ever heard of this company. Does anyone have any information on this?

http://hqrp.com/hqrp-45w-flexible-solar-panel-45-watt-power-12v-mono-crystalline-pv-module-w-6-stainless-grommets.html
  • BB.
    Options

Only 1 year warranty... And I would worry that it could fail in 5 years or less (flexible panels in general--Somebody years ago here had them on a sail boat and similar panels did not last much more than a year--if I recall correctly).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • AvondalePV
    Options

It does seems really sketchy doesn't it!
    I might go with one of the many companies that do custom solar panels(modules) has anyone had any luch with those? I have never seen anyone use anything that wasn't right out of the box
  • BB.
    Options

There was one RV'er that did that here (custom panels). I could not find the thread earlier when I looked (I think they purchased direct from China).

And, I am not saying the Vendor or their product are bad/questionable--I think it is more the nature of the beast (flexible panels just do not last as long as those mounted on glass).

No panel will take rocks or hard knocks well--But thin tempered glass panels are not going to survive those very well at all.

-Bill