Solar noob checking in

Options
Dean
Dean Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello all - Just wanted to introduce myself as I plan to be doing a lot of reading and asking questions here.

My name is Dean and my wife Lisa and I are from Phoenix and we just bought some property northeast of St. Johns, AZ. We plan to build a modest cabin there for extended stays and it will need to be completely off-grid. I'm in learning mode, trying to gather all of the information I can about solar power and other remote living technologies and concepts.

I'm a computer geek by trade and had extensive training and experience in electronics in the Navy, so I get a lot of the technology; now I just need to learn about the products and how best to apply them to my needs.

I promise to do my best to read and use the search function before asking questions. Looks like there's tons of information here! :cool:

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Solar noob checking in

First, welcome,, there are some very sharp folks here, all too willing to help.

Starting from a blank slate, remember a couple of essential rules of off grid. First and foremost, to prevent, reay, fire, aim, all hardware choices strt with the loads. Do a good load estimate, and work backwards to the hardware. (remember, all loads grow with time!). Next, realize that most people over estimate thier solar potential, at the same time, underestimate their loads, leading to heartache. Finally, remember, conservation is your cheapest energy dollar. Every dollar spent on conservtion will save 5-10 in PV and related costs.

Tony

PS. For part time use, consider a propane fridge. The more you use a place, the more it makes sense to use. Good compressor fridge, but for part time, a propane can be way cheaper.

T
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

welcome, Dean. Your background in electronics will help you greatly.

I have been off grid for 2 years. I too started with a good education in electronics, but I less practical experience than you, and virtually no knowledge of National Electric Code. So here's my advice to you: Learn about batteries! Living off grid is: you take care of your battery and it will take care of you.

When you design your system, as icaris pointed out, you start by knowing your loads. Next you choose your battery based on your load. The rest is easy... you just buy enough PV panels and electronics to make your battery happy.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On that note, read and understnd the following:

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Tony
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Wow, great! Three concise, insightful replies right off the bat. Thanks!

My problem is going to be technology creep. Wherein more and more gadgets creep in to my home and I have to power them.

I'm also in to amateur radio, so I am used to using batteries and chargers and understanding the interaction of the two. Though, in the limited research I have done I see there are lots of subtleties that come into play with solar power systems and keeping your batteries happy (and obtaining long life from your investment).