Forum and Blog suggestions needed

Options
Windsun
Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
With the new server upgrade we are getting, it will allow us to expand this forum and blog considerably without worrying about overloading the RAM and CPU as we have been in the past.

Suggestions are welcome, but bear in mind that we do not want to end up with a huge number of topics that only get a few posts per month. For the blog part of it, we would like to keep it restricted to longer articles and important topics (the blog will probably not go really active until we verify that the new server is working right and we get the updated software installed, about a week).

Though the server upgrade is costing us around $2,000 a year we have no intention of changing our "free for all" policy here.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Forum and Blog suggestions needed

this sounds like real good news for the forum as it will make a good thing even better.
  • kevin
    kevin Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options

oh that will, i think this will help us discussion and expand our knowledge. thank you administrator.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I too am grateful for your hosting and also for your postings. My suggestion would be to move the RSSfeed from the forum to the blog. In my opinion your forum is the premier spot on the web for people helping people with renewable energy. News feeds are interesting, but are not people helping people. They rarely receive replies.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Great news and thanks for hosting such a great forum. Some ideas for sub-forums:
    - Generators
    - Alternative fuels, biodiesel, etc.

I've seen some other forums start sub-forums for specific manufacturers that don't have their own forums, where representatives from those manufacturers can chip in and help users out. Don't know if you're interested in approaching some manufacturers about this. E.g. Trojan, Xantrex, Rolls sub forums could be interesting.
  • Windsun
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »
    Great news and thanks for hosting such a great forum. Some ideas for sub-forums:
    - Generators
    - Alternative fuels, biodiesel, etc.

I've seen some other forums start sub-forums for specific manufacturers that don't have their own forums, where representatives from those manufacturers can chip in and help users out. Don't know if you're interested in approaching some manufacturers about this. E.g. Trojan, Xantrex, Rolls sub forums could be interesting.

Most of the major mfg's, such as Midnite Solar, Outback etc. have their own forums. The problem with too many subforums for specific brands is that you end up getting about 10 posts a year. There might be a couple of main topics that could be broken down a little, but forum topics need at least around 10-15 posts a week to keep them active.
  • Windsun
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I too am grateful for your hosting and also for your postings. My suggestion would be to move the RSSfeed from the forum to the blog. In my opinion your forum is the premier spot on the web for people helping people with renewable energy. News feeds are interesting, but are not people helping people. They rarely receive replies.
    --vtMaps

That is something we might do. The blog is a relatively new feature, and most of us are pretty fuzzy on how to use it and set it up for the best results. But that might be a better fit for the news stories - will have to check into it. One advantage of the forum threads is that the news feed can be pruned down from time to time to get rid of the old messages.
  • niel
    Options

hmm, that does seem like a good idea. maybe if it's possible the blog could be limited to say the last 25 most recent posts, or something like that, automatically trimming it?
  • vtmaps
    Options

The more I participate in the forum, the more I find myself being scooped. Can you possibly put up an alert when I submit a post:
    During the time that you read this thread and typed your response,
    2 other forum members have posted to the thread.
    __Submit ________ Cancel ________ Reload Thread __

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    Options

You do allow forum members to sell equipment, but if I wanted to sell a retired charge controller or some surplus cable, I wouldn't know which forum to post it in. Perhaps you should have a 'For sale' or 'classified ads' forum. --vtMaps
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

vtMaps;

We do allow members to post the odd bit of equipment for sale. But we've discussed the "for sale" section idea and decided it would be a really big problem to moderate. So members are allowed to list the occasional piece of equipment as a single post under "General" and we ask that all negotiations/transactions be done by PM or e-mail to avoid the clutter and moderating difficulties. Business deals between friends can go so bad so quickly. This is why we don't allow arranging "group buys" too.

Also note that if the ads get to be a major posting issue that they may be disallowed as that's not the main purpose of the forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

We really do not want to turn into a "Craig's List" for solar... Just continue, primarily, as a volunteer technical support forum.

Place the equipment in the Off Grid (or Grid Tie) forum. [or General Forum, as suggested by Cariboocoot above]

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

I think a for sale sub forum should exist. It is annoying to see the for sale ads in the middle of a regular forum.
    OR just ban them entirely.
  • niel
    Options

we could consider one running post to be stickied in general solar at best. there would be so few listings that it wouldn't ever warrant much more than this. this we did try before and nobody posted into it in the past as they continued to put them into other areas of the forum once in a blue moon. we can hear general membership thoughts on this if you guys wish.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    we could consider one running post to be stickied in general solar at best. there would be so few listings that it wouldn't ever warrant much more than this. this we did try before and nobody posted into it in the past as they continued to put them into other areas of the forum once in a blue moon. we can hear general membership thoughts on this if you guys wish.

I've got a few "yard sale" items I would post. PM negotiations would be the best. People could go back and edit posts to say "sold" or just delete them afterwards.

-Alex
  • niel
    Options

ok, i'll put the post in place and we'll give it another try.