Midnite Solar Transfer Switch - How to connect 3 x 6 AWG wires?

Options
Hi all,

I'm currently wiring a Midnite Solar Transfer Switch (60A) and in effort to minimize the amount of wiring I have to run, I would like to tie the solar (says "generator" in the attachment) and the main service panel power in parallel, on the inverter side of the breaker switches. Furthermore, I would like this connection to be facilitated inside the transfer switch box (IE. not in an additional junction box containing say with a bus bars. I would normally use wirenuts for this but because the electrical wiring is 6 awg, I can't locate a nut large enough to hold 3 x 6 awg wiring (Y connection). Would anyone be able to give me some tips on what can be used in this application? Many thanks!

Please see the attachment for reference.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Midnite Solar Transfer Switch - How to connect 3 x 6 AWG wires?

woody,
    before i give an answer i do have to say i'm confused on your application of what is being switched from where the generator would've been. this transfer switch is only alternating different ac sources for when the grid is down the alternate where the generator is listed will kick in.

now assuming there's no problem in the purpose you have in mind you can run a single wire (black) from say the inverter ac hot1in straight to say the utility breaker in the transfer switch. now bringing the connection from the generator breaker down to the wire you just wired can be attached to one another by way of a split bolt. split bolts are only meant to join 2 wires and not 3 and you only need to join 2 wires if the one stays a solid run from the inverter to the utility breaker.
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=split+bolt&qpvt=split+bolt&FORM=HURE

because it is switching 2 opposing legs of the 220vac there will be another split bolt needed for that other leg and these may need to be insulated as i am not familiar with how much room there actually is in there and what the chances of short circuiting anything are. shrink tubing may suffice for insulation, but this will need to be slipped over the wire on the inverter side of things prior to their connection. after the connection is made you slide it up over the split bolt and heat it to shrink it on to the wires and split bolt. hope i'm not confusing you here.
  • woody
    woody Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

My response is in blue

woody,
    before i give an answer i do have to say i'm confused on your application of what is being switched from where the generator would've been. this transfer switch is only alternating different ac sources for when the grid is down the alternate where the generator is listed will kick in.
    I am wiring a grid interactive system. The transfer switch instructions that I attached shows a generator but I am essentially using the transfer switch as a inverter bypass (w/mechanical interlock) so that if necessary I can isolate the inverter while still having power supplied (via the main house panel) to my sub-panel that houses my emergency/essential house circuits/breakers. The attachment shows two legs but I will be only using one leg (120 V Nom.)
    I hope this clarifies your confusion. I have came across some site that sells split bolts but like you u said..this is not appropriate for 3 wires.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

it can work for your application if the wire is solid all of the way to the breaker from the inverter. then all that is needed is to attach the 1 wire to the wire run with the split bolt. it will work if you don't try to pigtail everything. think of it this way, the wire goes from the inverter up to the breaker. you will have a bit more of the insulation stripped from that wire at where it goes to the breaker so that the split bolt can attach the other wire coming from another breaker on the generator side. that is 2 connections for the split bolt and not 3 even though there are 3 destination points because of leaving the first wire as a solid run that the other wire just piggybacks to.