outback VFX

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Outback VFX 24v 3500 watt
anyone have one of these..... how much does the fan run and how much noise does it make..????
these are only a bit more than the Magnums....

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: outback VFX

ws,

First, I have no direct experience with either the OB or Magnum Inverters.

AND, do not kow the system that you are currently using ... But, many inverters make quite a lot of BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZing noise just sitting there without any load at all. And, assuming quite a lot, it is not someting that I would want to have as company inside my house or cabin.

Perhaps I am assuming too much. It is not possible to know what your current system is composed of, and just why you are wanting to know about fan noise. Done assuming, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have one. I am happy with it. I really don't know how much noise it makes because I don't want to know. Really! I can't stand noise at home, so I put my batteries and electronics in my detached workshop. My research indicated that virtually all inverters make audible hum and/or RF noise, so that's the reason I went that route. Also, I have learned not to trust the opinions of others about noise... many folks have told me that Danfoss compressors (such as Sunfrost or Sundanzer refrigerators) are virtually silent. I find them intolerable.

You asked about the fan... the only time I have caught it on has been while charging from the generator. Its so loud that it drowns out the transformer hum. My battery bank (four L16) cannot supply large sustained loads, so that is probably why I haven't caught the fan running except when charging.

Ask not for whom the inverter hums... it hums for thee. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will say this. My neighbors Trace PS2425 circa 1999 made a lot more buzzing noise than my VFX. Theirs was in the house and they were extremely glad to have upgraded to the Outback. It still makes some noise, but the level is much lower.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options

ok................
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options

Assuming you are referring to off-grid installations-

Both the Outback and the Magnum's fans run while charging. Neither tend to run under small loads. I have not seen the two operating side by side but I would guess that the construction of the Magnum allows it to "breathe" better (less need for the fan) but also may allow more sound to escape. Going by impressions in my memory I'd say the Magnum is louder but the Outback fan runs more.
  • Jigme Urgyen
    Jigme Urgyen Registered Users Posts: 13
    Options

if the VFX is ~18 degrees or higher and it is dealing with 15 amps or higher the fan will be running. It isnt loud, but noticable. You wouldnt want to be next to it. The Flexmax charge controller FAN is a lot louder, and runs often when stepping voltage down.