Something against inexpensive entry grid tie inverters

I tripped of another Chinese hate fest .......I am sure violating my warranty would be illegal too.:cry:
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Something against inexpensive entry grid tie inverters

thomas,
    if you are referring to this thread,
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?14518-grid-tie-reccomendations-are-above-12-volts-why
    it is not a hate fest as they are illegal and can be very unsafe. to argue with us about it is pointless for if you think you have a case then take it up with the nec or whoever. in general, if you do not want to learn and do things the right way, that is up to you as it is your choice and responsibility, but do not argue with us and expect us to agree with you because you can get something cheap from another country no matter what country it is.

also, please do not make a new thread for every little thing as many of these can be included in threads already preexisting. your warranty has nothing to do with safety rules in this country and if something should happen to it, good luck on getting them to honor their warranty regardless. there is a limit even we draw to being cheap and most of us are cheapskates.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Just as a side note,, for grins, I read the web site of "power jack" inverters. It is not very literate, probably written by someone whose first language is not English (not that that is a problem,,) but if you are selling a questionable product in the N. American market, you would think one would at least try to write a cogent, coherent sentence. I would avoid these products like the plague. Cheap, cheesy hardware is fine for a hobbiest working in his garage,, but I sure as hell wouldn't plug it into my grid,, if I cared about my house.

Tony
  • Thomas
    Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291

My intention is not to argue, I think it a waste of time Sincerely I do, I do not even like to win arguements, makes me feel sleasy, It is just that I feel I ran into a wall of stereotypical irrationality proffered by some over comfortable incopetant agian, I hate that, threatening them without realizing it is no fun. I thouroughly enjoy learning to right way to do things, thats why I post here. Wheras I am not doing things wrong, or intentionally short-cutting, thie Grid tie inverter is impossible to get in name brand initially. There is room for improvement, always is, allways will be at whatever anybody does. I do not , genuinely understand this..."because you can get it overseas, whatever the country. Something about the technology(i would be unaware of)or the function as sold(i would be irreverant of)I do not even see where the argument could be really. I think I have an imposter...something about a 1200 investment and a TV etc, was not all me....fyi...

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

My response is in the original thread
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?14518-grid-tie-reccomendations-are-above-12-volts-why&p=108770#post108770
  • Thomas

icarius, I was afraid when I got it, I kept is out side. It runs fine bolted down as it should, covered with blown insulation with 2 nice fat 8AWG wires sticking out of it(the old hole resized with epoxy ) to a terminal block, grid disconnect box. It is all I could afford, thankfully it works and I still want another one.....Some companies in CA(cheezy American)sell some for about 1500$1500w.

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Thomas, I think you have all the folk's wrong here. Most all of us have been right where you are now. Either from our own experience or what people have seen from others gives us the opinion that this homemade and inferior equipment can get you killed or your property destroyed.

Just take the time to read this whole thread.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?4524-Panel-Fire-Question/page8&highlight=panel+fire

If you want to start a small system then you can get a Enphase Inverter for $100 and a panel to match for $300 or so. Surely you have 240 V in your main panel. People care about posters on here, thats a rare find on the internet.

The problem with small solar is you put $400 in it for $.50 cents worth of electricity a month, really not worth the effort for 20 years.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas wrote: »
    icarius, I was afraid when I got it, I kept is out side. It runs fine bolted down as it should, covered with blown insulation with 2 nice fat 8AWG wires sticking out of it(the old hole resized with epoxy ) to a terminal block, grid disconnect box. It is all I could afford, thankfully it works and I still want another one.....Some companies in CA(cheezy American)sell some for about 1500$1500w.

You cover this non UL inverter with blow in insulation? And you run the #8 in free air, not in pipe? (and covered with blow in?) Sounds like a nightmare to me!

Icarus
  • Thomas

The vents are conduited for free flow of air and the 8AWG is naked for about 2 inches, then it IS ALL PVC pipe. Actually runs smooth and better...go figure

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

thomas,
    you are starting to scare me a bit here as i'm beginning to think the best advice i can give you is to stop trying to do it yourself because you don't have enough of a grasp on the stuff to safely do it yourself. inverters are not supposed to be in insulation whether you vent it or not. somebody like yourself is the reason that they make rules and regulations on how to proceed and with what equipment and then get it inspected before using. you are jumping the gun in almost every way conceivable and when any of us tells you that's not a good idea you start on a rant and that was the purpose of this thread by you in the first place because you didn't want to hear it.

please, for your own safety, stop everything you are doing and get a professional to do it. if you can't afford it then save for it as it isn't worth doing it if it puts you or your loved ones in jeopardy. it would appear this forum isn't fast enough at teaching you, let alone at convincing you, of anything you don't want to hear. i still encourage you to learn, but at a slower pace that you can grasp what it is we are trying to tell you, but let the professional make an installation for you in the meantime as i believe you are very eager to have solar at your place.

in light of the nature of this thread and that it has no good direction to go in at this point, i have decided to lock it.
This discussion has been closed.