Morningstar SureSine 300W Inverter

manzanita
manzanita Registered Users Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
A very windy storm damaged my questionable power shed and my 12v Exeltech 1100w inverter got wet. I opened it up and dried it out but still no joy. (I guess I'll send it back to the factory to see if it can be saved or rebuilt.)

So I was looking at the Morningstar SureSine 300W pure sine wave unit as a replacement or backup. The Exeltech uses 20w without a load and the Morningstar uses much less.

I am concerned that the Morningstar inverter only claims 10% accuracy on the output voltage. Has anyone used the Morningstar long term to power a laptop and/or computer without any problems? Or even with CFL lights, which are somewhat voltage sensitive?

Thanks in advance ...

(Btw, I didn't renew my satellite internet account, so I won't be able to respond until the next time I'm in town.)

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar SureSine 300W Inverter

sorry for the troubles with your inverter.

well, i don't have one, but i've heard nothing but praise for it. i'm confused as to why you have such a large inverter for such small loads in the first place?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Likewise, sorry for your troubles.
    Re the SureSine-300 inverter: I purchased one a few years ago and was so impressed with it that I now have two! NOT joking! This has got to be one of the best inverters ever made. One has been in 24/7 operation, supplying all small loads, including the computer that's sending this message, and several other computers over the years; all my lights, CFLs and mow mostly LEDs, and a list of small loads that need power 24/7, and has done so without a hitch of any kind since 2007. The second one, purchased a few months later, is operated in search mode, and is dedicated to intermittent loads, and comes to life whenever those automatic loads need to run, which totals at lease 50% of the time, AND these loads have such high starting demands, that each and every time they start, they put huge demands on the inverter. It too has operated without a hitch! I'm totally amazed at how well they've done their jobs and how they continue to do so. Many times, I've handed them horrible overloads to the point of causing them to shut down, but they always come right back. The one that runs 24/7 also from time to time is required to power up and run my oil fired hot water "boiler" furnace and circulator pump which it also does without a hitch unless I have both the TV and computer on, which causes the poor overloaded SureSine to shut down for a few seconds. That gives me time to shut off the TV and sat receiver, then the SureSine automatically tries a restart, which is successful, bringing the Rello oil burner to life, after which the TV etc can be turned back on and they all run happily together on that one little inverter! So you see, I've been asking these inverters to perform above and beyond what should ever be expected of them, for nearly 5 years now, and they still are doing their job without a hitch. They just sit there, silently doing their thing year after year. I just don't know what more I could say in praise of these inverters. And that's my honest, from the heart opinion, based on personal experience!
  • manzanita
    manzanita Registered Users Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

niel - I used to use the 12v Exeltech 1100w Inverter for much more in the past, but I'm rather limping along right now and am down to minimums. It has worked very well for me and withstood a fair amount of abuse. Almost like what wayne has said, my inverter has shut down numerous times whenever I've strongly exceeded its design specs, but it was always ready to go when I reset the on/off switch. They don't like water much though!

wayne - wow, you've certainly given your Morningstar inverters a workout! You've convinced me that the specifications aren't a problem. Of course I need to keep it out of the rain ...

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate your feedback. I've decided to buy a 300w Morningstar even if I get my Exeltech rebuilt. As niel more or less suggested, the smaller inverter handles the smaller loads more efficiently, which would be a benefit to me right now.