What is a Buss Bar

Options
pahorseman
pahorseman Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and new to solar. So new that I don't even have a solar setup yet. I have been doing a lot of reading trying to educate myself on the subject. But without a working knowledge of either solar or electricity I find myself baffled a lot of times on the simplest of things.

While reading some of the posts here I have come across the term buss bar several times. I have no idea what this is and what it does. Was wondering if someone could explain what they are and what they would be used for in a solar setup.

Since I have no electrical experience and because we live in an apartment, so we cannot install anything permanent, everything we have been looking at is of the pre-built portable variety.

The unit would only be used for emergency power during power outages and for camping. I would be running a few lights, a laptop, cable modem and router. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the systems from GoalZero?

The unit I am looking at is their extreme 350 base camp unit. But because of my lack of knowledge I am afraid to purchase. To me it looks like in print it is an excellent unit. But I would really like to hear the advise from some more knowledgeable people than myself.

I have given thought to a gas generator but don't care for having to purchase gasoline to run it or the noise factor. Have also looked into the tri-fuel generators.

Thank you

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: What is a Buss Bar

A Bus Bar is just a length of copper or brass (typically) instead of a wire. They frequently have threaded holes in them for attaching cables or to battery banks.

Busbar - Wikipedia

The GoalZero stuff--I saw some of their stuff (Costco road show). It looks interesting. And there were some issues with their IPhone chargers which they have been addressing (from the little I have read).

In the end, before you start purchasing hardware, you really have to define (and measure) your loads and how long they run (Watts*Hours, Amps*Hours, etc.).

Most people tend to underestimate their loads and over estimate how much power solar PV systems can provide.

In the end, extreme conservation is the best place to start (small laptop vs desktop computer, LED's for lighting, etc.).

Solar / Off Grid power systems are, usually, not very easy to make larger (adding solar panels, batteries, etc.) and solar power systems tend to be fairly expensive... So it is important that you quantify your loads before spending money.

If you are looking at AC power, Kill-a-Watt meter or equivalent is very handy (and good for use around the home as a conservation tool). For DC power systems, a DC Amp*Hour/Watt*Hour meter is handy.

The GoalZero stuff is pretty small (from what I remember), so they do not generate a lot of power. Also, remember, that you have to leave your solar charging setup out in an open area exposed to the sun for 6+ hours a day--Not really great for security of your expensive hardware if you are not there watching.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

a bus bar is the place on the bus where cute girls serve you drinks on a bus trip,, well thats my understanding of it, and its how its done in Philippines.in some parts

just in case i'm adding here that john is joking. use the smiley john.:p:p:p niel
  • LandKurt
    LandKurt Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Options

Goal Zero makes some attractive pricey equipment. You're definitely paying a premium for style, portability, and modularity. At $1070 for a 60 watt system with 350 Wh of storage it is not a cheap system.

My guess is that such a system would run your laptop, cable modem and router for two to five hours depending on how power hungry they are.

You could certainly put together an emergency power system for less cost, but it wouldn't be as nice looking or as portable and you'd have to learn a lot more about electricity and wiring. If you're not on a budget and want a portable system for camping, Goal Zero is probably worth considering.
  • pahorseman
    pahorseman Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    LandKurt wrote: »
    you'd have to learn a lot more about electricity and wiring.

Well I'm guessing the way one does this is the way I have been trying to do it. Reading and studying diagrams. I'm fairly certain I can make a very simple setup with one or two batteries. Where I start go get sketchy is when you throw in solar panels, charge controllers and the like. I simply want to experiment at the moment until I am a little more comfortable with what I am doing.

One other question that pops to mind. I notice everybody seems to go with the deep cycle AGM batteries. I recently discovered and started reading about LifeP04 batteries.

This intrigues me because the weight of the battery is much lower than the AGM's making portability easier. And the fact that the batteries can be mounted in any position other than up side down.

Does anyone have any experience using these types of batteries or any input on them pro or con would be appreciated
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

lithium ion phosphate batteries and be mounted in any position including upside down but the cost and charging /discharging problems are NOT for the inexperienced