New To Solar Energy and need a few points.....

Options
I'm a rookie when it comes to solar energy and I guess you could call this my first rodeo... I'm in the process of designing a solar heater using aluminum gutter downspouts and diet coke cans ( I don't have the exact size let; but, somewhere in the neighborhood of a 4' x 4' ) . Is there a book or can someone point me in the right direction to some online information regarding the correct solar panel required to power the two fans. Also, what type of fans would work best for airflow... Also, how to go about hooking them up using a thermostat......

Thanks!!!!!!!

Mike

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: New To Solar Energy and need a few points.....

A good website to look for DIY projects:

www.builditsolar.com

If you look at DC fans for computers, you can usually put equal or larger "12 volt" (really Vmp~17.5 volt) solar panels on the roof/sunny wall to power the fans.

Here is an example project:

www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?13787-how-do-I-get-my-12vdc-fan-to-work-with-my-5w-panel

If you have a 5 watt fan, start with one 5 watt solar panel (watch polarity). If the fan does not start/move enough air, then add a second panel in parallel.

Note that "muffin" fans generally do not move much air if blowing through duct work (they are designed for very low back pressure).

If the fan spins fast enough but does not move enough air, you may have to purchase fans that work better against back pressure or even look at ducted squirel cage fans (more expensive, probably more power).

As always, work with the thermal siphon flow--Cold air wants to fall, and warm air wants to rise. (cold vent at bottom, insulated tube at top to duct into window/room like chimney). If there is good enough air flow and temperature differentials, you may not even need a fan (as in open top of solar collector directly into window instead of 4-6" duct work).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset