Correct way to parallel batteries

Options
Volvo Farmer
Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a difference between battery bank A and battery bank B in the following diagram? My installer told me it was bad to take power off the end of parallel strings (?). My batteries are installed like diagram A. I fail to see an electrical difference between A and B though. Am I missing something here?

battery%20hookup.JPG

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Correct way to parallel batteries

VF, I use B but where I tap into the + & - at the midpoint of the connector (between the batt terminals of each of the 2 strings )

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • LandKurt
    LandKurt Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Options

You are trying to avoid one string being to the side of the main flow of power; distanced through extra wiring. It's usually advised to wire "diagonally" by connecting directly to the positive of one string and the negative of the other.

You seem to be doing that correctly in diagram A. There are two strings, left and right. you connect to the negative of the left string and the positive of the right string. It's drawn oddly, but diagram A seems to be a proper diagonal two string hookup.

Diagram B illustrates the common wrong way of connecting two strings. The main connection is to the terminals of the upper string. The lower string is distanced from the main flow of power by the two jumpers at the ends.
  • t00ls
    t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Options

really isnt a difference in the two...still drawing at the end of each
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

The standard reference we use around here from Smart Gauge: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Although the diagrams show individual batteries in parallel, you can think of series strings of batteries (connected positive to negative) as the single batteries shown in the diagram.

In the OP's diagrams, the best choice is to use 'B' but move either the negative or the positive system connect to the other row of batteries (like Smart Gauge diagram method 2)