L16's

Options
erne
erne Solar Expert Posts: 41
I asked a question the other day and now I am getting conflicting answers
the question is a L-16 360 AH battery needs 36 amps @ 6 volts does 2 L-16 batteries @ 12 volts also need 36 amps and 24 volts need 36 amps also, or does a 24 volt need 144 amps. thanks.

Comments

• Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: L16's

In a series connection, the ah of the bank would stay constant. 360.going by the 10% rule of thumb, you would need 36a. Doesn't matter if it is 12v or 48v. Keep in mind you will have to have a48v charger for a 48v bank. A12v charger will not work.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,456 admin
    Options

Note that Power = Voltage * Current

So, the laws of physics are not violated... If you double the current, you double the power... If you only double the voltage and keep the current the same, you still double the power.

So, a set of batteries--Say 4x 6 volt @ 220 AH--Put two in series and then put those strings in paralllel--You get 12 volts @ 440 AH.

If you take the same 4 batteries all in series, then you get 24 volts at 220 AH.
    • 12 volts * 440 AH = 5,280 Watt*Hours of storage
    • 24 volts * 220 AH = 5,280 WH
    So, you still have the same amount of energy storage in either configuration... And even though the 24 volt bank will require 1/2 the current for charging vs 12 volt bank; the amount of energy for charging is still the same (1/2 the current but 2x the voltage).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Short answer, more L-16 batteries in series will still be a 360 AH battery pack, so you'll still need 36 amp charge rate, if you stick to 10%, which would be a very good idea.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i will also confirm that like batteries in series will still be at the same ah current rating making the charging amps required to charge also to be the same. only the voltage is changing in a series connected battery bank and not the current so it is still 10% of the 360ah or 36a for charging.

now if you paralleled these batteries the voltage would stay the same and the ah capacity would change. it would be 10% of whatever the added total of the battery ah capacities in parallel would be. for instance if it were 4 of these 360ah l16 batteries in parallel you'd have a 6v battery bank with a 1440ah capacity and you would need 10% of that ah capacity to charge them or 144a.
  • erne
    erne Solar Expert Posts: 41
    Options

THANKS I think I got it now....