Options
2»

Comments

• mvandeusen
    mvandeusen Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options
    Re: Not new but LOST. Thanks
    icarus wrote: »
    As a side note, your Cairo il utility charges ~$.11kwh, so a $700 bill would be ~6363 kwh/month, or ~212 kwh/day. I repeate, one is not going to come close to generating that kind of load with 600 watts of PV.

If you wish to have a real conversation with real solutions,, then produce some real numbers!

Tony

As a side note, the utility is publicly owned, not for profit. It also provides service and waste water services,, as well as a hardware store! Since the customers own it,, I find it hard to reconcile the " rip off".

T

THat is NOT true. This company is privtely owned and are NOT owned by the customer.
  • mvandeusen
    mvandeusen Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options
    Seven wrote: »
    Is your current system 12v or 24?
    I have never seen a 5000w 12v inverter, so I will assume 24v.
    Your panels with on a 24v system would only produce around 15a of charging current.
    That is well short of the 40a you would need to keep them healthy. I don't see how you could run much of anything and not have the batteries completely dead in a couple of days. Even with a charger hooked up to them that was plugged in you would still be draining them too fast. Plus if have that charger, you are not really off grid in the first place.
    On another note, because batteries, chargers, and inverters are not close to 100% efficient, you would be using much more power to keep them charged than you would to simply power the devices from the grid.

I have to agree with others that it seems like you are making stuff up. Everyone else has been nice, so I'm not going to change the tone here. I will just add that your information and your claims are similar to a freshman telling a math professor that 1+1=3.

I indeed hve a 5000w inverter and yes its 12v. Check the history of Cairo and you will see that the statement is accurate but that isnt even why im here. who cares wether its 1.00 per month or 1000 I am not interested in that. I am trying to be here for solar questions.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mvandeusen wrote: »
    I indeed hve a 5000w inverter and yes its 12v. Check the history of Cairo and you will see that the statement is accurate but that isnt even why im here. who cares wether its 1.00 per month or 1000 I am not interested in that. I am trying to be here for solar questions.

What company is it? what does a $700 bill consist of? can you get us some facts to start working with?
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cairo Public Utility Company is an Illinois not-for-profit corporation that operates a combined municipal electric, natural gas and sewage treatment utility. The Utility provides, distributes and maintains electric services to customers located in Cairo, Future City, Patierdale, Urbandale, Klondike, Cache, and nearby unincorporated areas. The Utility also provides, distributes, and maintains natural gas services to customers located in Cairo, Mounds, Mound City, Pulaski, Ullin, Dongola, Olmsted, Future City, Urbandale, Patierdale, Spencer Heights, Villa Ridge, East Cape Girardeau, McClure, and nearby unincorporated areas. In addition, the Utility operates and maintains the sewage treatment plant and lift station for the City of Cairo.

http://www.cairopublicutility.com/about_us.htm

Why it matters is being properly informed makes decision making better! It matters that you think you are saving $650 per month on electricity by installing a 600 watt batter based PV system, when that is technically impossible in this universe. As explained before, your 600 watt system might deliver (on average) about 1.2 kwh/day of power. At the rate that Cairo utility charges,, that is ~ $.15 worth of power per day, or $4.50 worth of power per month. How you get another $645 worth of savings is beyond most of us here, myself included.

As as been said if you want real answers to real questions, then pose real facts.

On a side note, 5000 watts from 12 volts is ~ 416 amps. I would be curios to know what size service conductors you are using to feed that 5 kw potential. My book suggest ~#0000, which is huge wire. What kind of fuse/disconnect are you using on the input side? 400 amp dc breakers are kinda hard to find,, as are 400 amp fuses, not your normal off the shelf devices.

Tony
  • abrockca
    abrockca Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mvandeusen wrote: »

But you got your answer- don't use the eBay plug-in grid tie systems. Wasn't that your original question?

All the other details are just confusing us- you aren't grid-tied, but you have a $45 a month bill; you have very few panels, but you're running a house that use to cost $700 a month in power on them? I don't know how you are even running a refrigerator, much less anything else. After all, using power from the grid to charge batteries that you then use to power the house doesn't really save you anything...

but you're right - your original q was how to plug in to the grid, and that seems to have been thoroughly answered. What other solar q's do you have?