Microinverter question

Jim S
Jim S Registered Users Posts: 4
After an electrical storm passed, one of the micro inverters on my father-in-law’s PV system wasn’t working. The installer replaced it and since it wasn’t covered under warranty and I am a hobbyist, he gave it to me. It is an Enphase M215 and I was wondering if anyone can identify the four pins on the output connector for me? In other words, I understand one is ground and one is neutral, one is L1 and one is L2, but I need to know which is which? Would appreciate any input.

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
  • Jim S
    Re: Microinverter question

@ bmet: Thank you for the information and diagram.

But what I am looking for is to identify the four pins on the connector directly attached to the M215 micro inverter before the trunk cable connection, not after, as shown in the diagram. Can anyone help me with that? (which pin is ground, neutrel, L1 and L2?)
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Jim S wrote: »
    @ bmet: Thank you for the information and diagram.

But what I am looking for is to identify the four pins on the connector directly attached to the M215 micro inverter before the trunk cable connection, not after, as shown in the diagram. Can anyone help me with that? (which pin is ground, neutrel, L1 and L2?)

Can you get a cheap Ohm meter and check continuity from
    opposite ends of the cable?
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    Can you get a cheap Ohm meter and check continuity from
    opposite ends of the cable?
    Not going to help - the other ends of the cable are embedded in the inverter.

If the inverter is most likely dead, anyway, cut off the connector and you should find that the wires are color coded.

Black – L1
    Red – L2
    White – Neutral
    Green - Ground
  • Jim S

Thanks to all for the information.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the information.
    L1 and L2 are interchangeable. The two hot wires align themselves to whichever phase of the 240VAC they are connected to. You know that it won't turn on (even if it were working) unless it is connected to grid power, don't you?
  • Jim S
    ggunn wrote: »
    L1 and L2 are interchangeable. The two hot wires align themselves to whichever phase of the 240VAC they are connected to. You know that it won't turn on (even if it were working) unless it is connected to grid power, don't you?

Thank you, I do realize that. Even though L1 and L2 are interchangeable, do you know which two pins they are on the connector coming out of the microinverter?(see picture attached)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I do realize that. Even though L1 and L2 are interchangeable, do you know which two pins they are on the connector coming out of the microinverter?(see picture attached)

Let's try some deductive reasoning (which could be wrong).

If the cable diagram is correct (and it may not be) the pin order is: GRND - NEUTRAL - L2 - L1
    Check for continuity between the case and one of the end pins. If it is present, that should be GRND.
    Check for resistance between the two pins at the other end and between each of those and the remaining pin. You should get Ohm readings that indicate a center-tapped transformer here as I think the Enphase is isolated this way.

Or this could be entirely wrong. Or if the internal wiring is damaged you'd get wrong readings.

Or you could "borrow" a known working cable from your father-in-law's installation just long enough to take some readings and trace the colour-coded wires back to the pins.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it's too difficult to know which is which by looking at it or the wire color coding. as such, i would be careful here in any suppositions as nobody knows for sure.