Dual XW6048's in synch - idle power draw?

Options
aj164
aj164 Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
Our first installation with more than one XW-6048 went very smoothly. However, with NO loads on the system, I notice there is a power draw at idle of around 100W.

If I turn off one or the other inverter output breaker, the power output (on the Xantrex remote display) drops to zero. With both breakers on, the power goes back up to 100W. Inverter #1 is designated 'master', and Inverter #2 'slave'. Is this an inherent cost of synchronization?

Comments

• Denniswingo
    Denniswingo Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options
    Re: Dual XW6048's in synch - idle power draw?
    aj164 wrote: »
    Our first installation with more than one XW-6048 went very smoothly. However, with NO loads on the system, I notice there is a power draw at idle of around 100W.

If I turn off one or the other inverter output breaker, the power output (on the Xantrex remote display) drops to zero. With both breakers on, the power goes back up to 100W. Inverter #1 is designated 'master', and Inverter #2 'slave'. Is this an inherent cost of synchronization?

It has been our experience with multiple inverters that the xantrex draws about 30 watts each. When we run a single inverter it shows zero watts to 30 watts.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Each XW take about 28 watts with inverter running and no load. I am not sure but I think they do parallel MOSFET drive idling to save MOSFET drive power at light loads. More MOSFET's are activated when power requirements go up.

You did not specify if this was off grid DC power or ACin power when on grid. When on grid or generator there will be additional power consumed to charge/float batteries.

For parallelling there might be some tugging between units based on their AC voltage calibration tolerance. This should mostly net out at the batteries' DC power.
  • arghhh
    arghhh Registered Users Posts: 18
    Options

AC output calibration can cause some circulating current between inverters. It is always worse with no load.

I am not sure on what can be calibrated on the XW6048 but when calibrating voltages make sure to use the same meter for all calibrations. They can be be off as much as a volt from meter to meter.