Fronius error "State 225"--what is it?

tampasolar
tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭
I am using two Fronius ig5100. 22 panels on each, two pitches on the roof.

I am getting an error "State 225" from the inverter today. I look in the manual and they say "... not applicable in the USA OR Canada", yet I get it and that inverter is down.

The factory tech says "need to replace an outdated GFDI card". Now I also get a "State 447" code that is also not in my manual. I asked tech to supply me with code documents and Fronius refuses to support us with any error code docs.

They made the unit in March 2011, it sat in a warehouse and even though they knew I bought the unit with a defect I had to wait til it failed before they would address it. They also tell me they have no system in place to notify registered owners of such future problems as they arise.

Disappointed in Florida.
hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
Gateway / Insight Local
xw4548 backup

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Fronius error "State 225"--what is it?

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I moved this to your own thread... Should keep things a bit easier to follow.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Not that this will help you much but ...
    From page 124 of a Fronius manual (not necessarily the right one):

"447
    NL-MON PC board stopped grid monitoring
    Behavior: If it is possible, your Fronius IG Plus unit will resume
    the power feeding operation after successfully completing
    another attempt to connect.
    Remedy: If status code persists, contact a Fronius-trained
    service technician."

The "not applicable in USA/Canad" remark on the GFDI code is because those countries didn't have GFDI requirements - until now. Looks like you got sold an out-of-date and defective unit.

I sincerely hope you can get quick satisfaction through whatever retailer you bought it from or the company itself (sometimes the companies don't like to deal with end users).
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

tampasolar,

You can download the correct manual for your product at the following link:

http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-61478452-8F0B87D0/fronius_usa/Fronius_IG_USA_CSA_012010_194136_snapshot.pdf

Both state codes 225 and 447 are listed in the back of the manual and they do both refer to a problem with the GFDI card (as long as AC voltage is present at the inverter - otherwise, 225 just means the AC is off).

It is not necessarily the case that the board is out of date. If the inverter was made in March of this year (most likely serial number starting with "22" or greater) then there are no updates that the inverter is missing, and this could simply be caused by a component gone bad. If we do have issues that affect a large number of products in the field, we post a technical bulletin on our website, as well as disseminate it through our distribution channels. We do not collect end user data so unfortunately we cannot contact everyone directly.

If you need further assistance, please call Tech Support at 877-FRONIUS, but I hope that at this point your installer is involved and a resolution is in process.

-Brian
    Fronius USA
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Thank you very much Brian, we always appreciate information direct from the source.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

State 225 is the error that generally means the homeowner or salesman or whoever tried to turn the system on forgot to turn on the circuit breaker.
  • tampasolar
    tampasolar Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

1) That link does not bring me to any manual at all, please recheck and repost.

2) It was an outdated unit and was a nightmare to change the card after the install. Fronius knows why.

3) I have 2 of these IG5100 units, they both suck power in from the utility all night long. This time of year the pv system runs about 9 hours in the daytime, leaving 15 hours before start up the next day.

Using a clamp on ammeter I have obtained the following values: (both systems I have assess the same)
    Meter reading: 0.27 amp
    .27a * 240v = 65 watts
    65w * 15 hours = 975 watts wasted overnight on a system that produces 4000 watts in bright sunlight.
    That's 12 cents a day per inverter ... for me $7.20 a month

Overnight waste is close to 25% of the hourly system capacity.
    hybrid: xw6848 pro with two mppt60, 6 kw pv
    17 cell 280ah LiFePO4 storage  14 kw
    gridtie: sunny boy sma 2x 5k
    gridtie: fronius ag5100 5k
    Gateway / Insight Local
    xw4548 backup