Outback FlexMax 80 Now Shipping

Options
nigtomdaw
nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
Homepowers Magazine latest edition downloaded today hasa full page add for the New Flexmax 80 charge controller and it states its now shipping, couldnt find anything on OB site :roll:

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Outback FlexMax 80 Now Shipping

Hello all,

The FLEXmax 80 is shipping.

Bryan
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The FLEXmax 80's manual has been posted. See:http://www.outbackpower.com/pdfs_manuals/FLEXmax%2080_REV_A.pdf

:cool:
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Hi I browsed through the new manual last night. I was interested in the generic absorb and float voltages they suggest for normal vented lead acid batteries.

NON-SEALED LEAD ACID 12 V 24 V 48V
    ABSORB voltage set point 14.8V 29.6V 59.2V
    FLOAT voltage set point 13.8V 27.6V 55.2V

Note : Higher settings can be used with non-sealed batteries, but water consumption will

I currently have my single cell 2 volt 700 ah Varta 30 inch tall units set to bulk to 28.8v then absorb at 27.6v before going to float with BTS compensation . In light of this should I increase to Outbacks higher level. ?
  • crewzer
    Options

Nigel,

The generic numbers are ~ right for Trojan flooded-cell batteries. But, other manufacturers (i.e., Rolls/Surrette, US Battery, Interstate) suggest other settings.

I generally recommend starting with the settings recommended by the battery manufacturer. It's often possible to use settings at the low end of the operating range in the summer if you can get in a long absorption period.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Thanks Jim Ive recently added another 800 watts to my array taking me to 2400 watts. Ive also hooked up the automatic watering system for the batteries each cell has a little valve and float on the top . With the batteries being tall and slim which increases the statification effect a slightly higher charge regime doesnt seem too harmful with the auto watering system.

Since Ive installed the extra panels three weeks ago Im getting good sun from 11 till 4 in January. The C40s are indicating a full charge every day and the batteries a busy bubbling from about 2 oclock. Im hitting float around 3 o'clock.

Ive only used the genny once in three weks and Ive been badgering my better half to use the washing machine on an afternoon more as im spilling power by 3 oclock. Shes running out if things to wash, Spring Clean Finished in January.LOL

With another 1600 watts to fit this summer looks like running a pool pump from solar is doable !

Ive definitely been missing out on a good absorb charge this winter I can see a improvement on the holding voltage under load of the batteries , either late at night or earlier morning they are .3 to .4 of a volt higher than before the new panels were installed. Im seeing 24.3 or 24.4 under load when I go to bed after a solar day againts 24 or 24.1 previously. So the next day the solar has less to make up and with more power. Ive just got to finish off the perspex glass battery top and Ill send some more photos. PS the best Ive seen going in on a fresh clear solar noon day is 65 amps from my 2 x C40s . When I can afford a MPPT who knows ! * Panels are fixed at my lattitude*
  • crewzer
    Options

The FLEXmax 80 is now posted in the NAWS store: http://store.solar-electric.com/oufl80sochco.html

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options
    Hello all,

The FLEXmax 80 is shipping.

Bryan

If it is shipping, then why does nobody have it?

We had to disable purchasing on our store because apparently none will be available until at least mid-March,
  • crewzer
    Options

They're apparently starting to trickle out: http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2539

:cool:
    Jim / crewzer
  • nigtomdaw
    Options

Ah I see the Xantrex virus is spreading.......it must be a renewable bug:p
  • blwncrewchief
    blwncrewchief Registered Users Posts: 17
    Options

Yes they are shipping as I have mine in front of me in my living room. Got it thursday. :p
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

We have gotten a couple, but we had 48 on order, and still 46 on backorder now for quite some time.