DIY Solar Panel

SolaRAC
SolaRAC Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭✭
I did some searching on this forum and I can't seem to find much about do-it-yourself panels (i.e. purchasing cells and building the panels yourself). There are alot of videos on youtube about it and it does seem to be cost-effective with the only drawback being the time and patience required to build the units. Given that I'm new to solar energy and not looking to spend too much on a panel.. I see this as a good idea...

Looking for some feedback from the pros... what are your thoughts on building your own panels?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: DIY Solar Panel

There are many threads here about DIY panels.
    They can be summed up thus: with commercial panel prices below $2 per Watt now building your own panels is nothing but a frustrating waste of time, effort, and money.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

When you can buy commercial panels with UL rating, a 20 year warranty for a $1 a watt it is hard to justify making them.

You can get in trouble with your insurance company as well and for grid tie UL panels are required.
  • SolaRAC

Considering that I'm just in it right now to experiment and that I'm being charged $50-150 to ship one 25-35lb 4'x5' panel oversees to the Bahamas... This looks very attractive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-3x6-Solar-Cell-Kit-Tabbing-Bus-Flux-Diode-/200550182502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb1b8ee66

solar_dave: Is this you -> http://www.solardave.com/ ? :)
  • SolaRAC
    Here are a few of the threads from searching for "homemade"

I was using a bad search string.. DIY Panels / Solar Cells.

Thanks for the info.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Small panels (under 100 Watts) can be ridiculously expensive on a per Watt basis. For those and for learning building your own may be worthwhile. But you need to be aware of the pitfalls, and there are many:

1). the individual cells bought from various places are usually company rejects and need to be tested so that all the cells used in the panel have consistent performance values.
    2). soldering the tabs is tricky. Getting the heat right is best done with a temperature-controlled iron (expensive).
    3). you may have a hard time getting the low-iron glass used in commercial panels.
    4). never use flammable materials of any kind in your panels.
    5). sealing the panels against weather is not easy. You do need to get the right material for this.
    6). be sure and get the right bypass diodes (as applicable) for your panels.

Building your own can be a real learning experience. You will learn it's not as simple as some would have you believe. You will learn you sure don't want to do this for a "full size" solar install. You may even learn a few new words as you come up against the aggravation of trying to get it right. :p
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

"Considering that I'm just in it right now to experiment and that I'm being charged $50-150 to ship one 25-35lb 4'x5' panel oversees to the Bahamas... This looks very attractive:"

So instead of it costing $1.30 per watt the price is something like $2.30 a watt? with shipping figgured in?

What do you think your DIY panel will cost after you get all the supplies with shipping. I bet it will be around $2 a watt and it will fail within 5 years.

Penny wise, pound foolish is the phrase that comes to mind.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Penny wise, pound foolish is the phrase that comes to mind.

Unfortunately this is the ongoing history of DIY solar panels. But not to worry, the folks promoting and advertising for others to go this route are lining their pockets and laughing all the way to their bank. So all is not lost, at least it is making money for the scam artists.
  • SolaRAC
    Unfortunately this is the ongoing history of DIY solar panels. But not to worry, the folks promoting and advertising for others to go this route are lining their pockets and laughing all the way to their bank. So all is not lost, at least it is making money for the scam artists.

What are you talking about scam artists? I'm genuinely in this to learn; I'm not promoting the method nor am I interested in purchasing these ebooks/courses.

There are tons of 'free' guides online.. in fact I found more free guidance than those that cost you. Where's this 'scam artists' talk coming from?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    SolaRAC wrote: »
    What are you talking about scam artists? I'm not promoting the method nor am I interested in purchasing these ebooks/courses.

Nor did I say, or suggest that you were. I wish you the best of luck.