Chasing down power loss, and other newbie questions

Options
2»

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Chasing down power loss, and other newbie questions

Admittedly without readingthe entire thread. A .2v drop means little. What you really Ned to know is how many amp/ hours or watt/ hours it drew over night, and or how many amps (MA) it draws idling.

Tony
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options

He can get a rough estimate based on his starting and ending voltage and the chart in the battery FAQ. Better than nothing.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Battery%20Voltages

(Scroll down a little to the colorful chart)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • cruiser guy
    cruiser guy Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another question on the batteries and charging.

I have a pair of Deka Solar Gel cell batteries. I know they are not the recommended ones here and I bought them before finding out about this site but they are what I have until they die.

My 220v inverter is also sold as a UPS device and has the provision for battery charging of 24v banks. On boosting the charge on days when the sun is not as much as it normally is can I simply connect the genset to the "mains" on the inverter/UPS and let it charge the batteries or is the current likely to be too high?

Unfortunately, until I get a decent meter I cannot measure current or much of anything for that matter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Is there anything on the UPS on the charging current rating?

If it is designed for GEL, then it may be OK. If it was designed for AGM batteries, then it may output too much current.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset