Critique my planned system...please

Options
scottreb
scottreb Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭
Ok everyone Im getting ready to put together a system for my truck camper. Here is my plan.

-Batteries- Lifeline/SunXtender 12V x2 total Ah 220-300.
-Panel-Found several 200-220W panels in the $1.50-1.75/watt price range. They are all higher volts, 28+
-CC Morningstar TS 45. Trimetric battery monitor.
-Inverter-not sure yet. Gonna spend some time with the camper and see what if anything we NEED.
-Converter/Charger-Iota 45 amp with IQ4. Infrequent shore power use and battery charging when garaged and/or bad weather. If I get a generator for that too.

My biggest questions are regarding the higher voltage panels and the TS 45. By specs it should be fine, but would the extra expense of a MPPT controller be worth it?? Im thinking no but all this is pretty new to me.
What do you all think...

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: Critique my planned system...please

Yea, you are really going to want the MPPT charge controller... The losses from a 28 volt panel in a 17.5 volt Vmp application will be around:
    • 17.5 volts / 28 volts = 0.625 ~ 63% efficiency
    The Morning Star TS 45 MPPT would be very nice--You can also look at the Rogue 12/24 volt 30 Amp MPPT charge controller too (bit less expensive).

If there is the option for Remote Battery Temperature Sensor, you should get it. TS 45 (pwm or mppt) both support that option. And both the MorningStar and new Rogue support remote battery voltage sensing too.

If you are going to be running a genset a lot to keep your battery bank up in winter/bad weather/heavy loads at times--You might want to read through this thread (if fuel costs/availability are an issue):

Question about battery charger selection with EU2000 generator

It might be overkill for a smaller system--but I really like to recommend Battery Monitors (or Victron brand too), especially for AGM/Sealed battery applications where you cannot measure specific gravity.

You will want to keep an eye on the AGM batteries and make sure you don't kill them from over discharging / deficit charging.

For a 12 volt inverter--The MorningStar 300 watt TSW 12 volt inverter is hard to beat.

If you have any critical/expensive 120 VAC loads (cell phone chargers, computers, some electrical/audio equipment, etc.) that you cannot replace when you are 100's of miles from nowhere--A TSW inverter is a better bet.

You can always get a cheap and large MSW inverter for the occasional heavy loads (power saws, drills, water pumps) if you need something.

But with a small solar system--heavy loads are usually not recommended anyway--just use a genset, if you have one (900 to 1,600 watt inverter generators are small and fuel efficient+quiet).

Here is a Video for a small RV trailer installation in this nice thread from Kevin in Calgary Canada that shows designing and installing solar PV in a small RV trailer. Kevin did post a few weeks ago that the system is still working very well for him.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • scottreb
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I had planned on the battery temp sensor and the trimetic battery monitor as well.
    The next question is about the Rogue CC. Can I adjust the amount of Volts it is sending to the battery?? Or are their programs fixed? I like that its a bit cheaper than Morningstar and includes temp sensor. From what I understand some of the prewritten programs dont get enough volts for long enough before they decrease to the next stage.
    Hope this makes sense as this all new to me. Thanks Scott
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

I am not involved with Rogue (or any solar company)--So I cannot answer any detailed questions...

However, here is the PDF Manual (see around page 32). Sometimes Marc comes by here to answer questions and I am sure he will answer emails and phone calls to his company.

www.roguepowertech.com/contact.htm

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • scottreb
    Options

Thanks for directing me. It is adjustable same as the Morningstar.