Problem with Vector Inverter.

Options
SirSparks
SirSparks Solar Expert Posts: 43
Advice requested.

I purchased a Vector 2,000 watt inverter (VEC054D) about 3 months ago and only got to install it 3 weeks ago, In my move I have lost all paperwork for it and doubt I can gedt (or that I even want) a warranty repair. I also have a 400 watt pure sine wave inverter dedicated to all the entertainment electronics and working fine. When I wired the converted box truck I installed dedicated neutrals for the entertainment circuit and also for the fridge but the neutrals for the AC, microwave, and general purpose are shared. Here is my problem;

On install I found that sharing a neutral with the main buss and shore supply would trip the Vector immediately (no fault light just trip)even with the transfer switch in Inverter position. The only way to stop this was to unplug (hence disconnecting) The shore side neutral). So basically I made the fridge dedicated to only the Vector and ran all other circuits (except electronics) from shore This was a pain but I lived with it for 3 weeks until last night.

In the middle of the night the cooling fan came on in the Vector and has not switched off since, now this is LOUD in a small RV and I cannot sleep in addition to the extra power I am using. It still works fine just too loud. it was the first time it has ever come on as the fridge did not switch it before.

Now I guess I shall be needing a new inverter to get some sleep so I wanted to know if any of you guys had come across a similar problem (with solution) or if any of you can recommend an inverter that does not have this shared neutral problem..

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Problem with Vector Inverter.

Not sure I followed your wiring description but ...
    That inverter is MSW. Sounds like somewhere amongst all the wiring its output came up against the neutral-ground bond for either the shore power or the other inverter's AC.

The short version: if that is the case you now need a new inverter.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

As Marc said... Most MSW Inverters will be short circuited if you have a grounded DC battery bank and a grounded AC neutral on the output.

Most TSW inverters can support a grounded battery bank (typically negative battery terminal tied to vehicle frame) and a grounded neutral (also commonly tied (somewhere eventually) to the metal vehicle frame.

You need to review the inverter's manual to be sure (and many of the manuals either do not say anything or are a bit vague about the ground bonding issue).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • SirSparks
    Options

Thank you Bill and Mark.

In my attempts to fix the problem I isolated the grounds and neutrals in the panel and I also (temporarily) isolated battery negative from vehicle ground. None of this made any difference because of course Ground and Neutral are still bonded back at shore supply.

I presume TSW means True Sine Wave? can anybody recommend an inexpensive one? For now I have put the Fridge on shore supply sdo I can sleep tonight and can still burn off excess power if needed by running the AC for a couple of hours by unplugging the shore supply

Also I noted that some inverters have an over-voltage problem on Absorb. Is this the same with TSW inverters?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

There should be no over Voltage problem with inverters during the Absorb cycle, as that shouldn't be that high. Many inexpensive inverters will shut down on an equalization cycle as that will be 15+ Volts (12 Volt system) and that's higher than they expect. All true or pure sine wave (TSW or PSW) inverters I know of will take EQ cycle without any problem.

Keeping ground/neutral isolation for MSW inverters is very difficult when you have shore power. Most transfer switches switch only the hot pole(s) and leave neutral and ground alone. So if you plug in to that power source the neutral & ground are bonded for all circuits, and if the (-) of the inverter is also connected to ground (chassis usually, and almost inevitably the AC ground is connected to that as well) you get the problem. Once the damage is done, it's done.

Take a look at the Exeltech inverters: http://www.solar-electric.com/exsiwain.html
    Reasonably inexpensive sine wave. The 1100 Watt one might run your 'frige. I doubt it would run air conditioning, though.

What is this "excess power" you need to "burn off"? :confused:
  • SirSparks
    Options

The strange thing is that it ran just fine for 3 weeks when I made it dedicated (with dedicated neutral) for only the fridge then last night the cooling fan came on and now runs constantly even though output is fine and the unit is cold. I coulod still use it for other short duration purposes such as M/W and Coffee maker etc. but I can no longer use it for Fridhe AND get any sleep.

It also still runs everything fine provided shore supply is unplugged but still with that dang fan running.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    SirSparks wrote: »
    The strange thing is that it ran just fine for 3 weeks when I made it dedicated (with dedicated neutral) for only the fridge then last night the cooling fan came on and now runs constantly even though output is fine and the unit is cold. I coulod still use it for other short duration purposes such as M/W and Coffee maker etc. but I can no longer use it for Fridhe AND get any sleep.

It also still runs everything fine provided shore supply is unplugged but still with that dang fan running.

That's one of the problems; you never know what will go wrong inside because you never know what the internal circuitry is like. This may be a failure of the fan circuit totally unrelated to wiring. But you can't live with it the way it is, can you?

I had a Xantrex MSW inverter go wonky; the cooling fan would come on and the AC output Voltage would drop. No idea why, and Xantrex didn't even both to respond to inquiries. So I bought an Outback. No worries. :D
  • SirSparks
    Options

In about a month I expect to be moving OFF GRID so I will need to have to have it fixed by then. I guess I will check out Ebay for an inexpensive TSW. I bought the 400w TSW one I have from Ebay and it is working great. The biggest load I shall have is a 700W M/W (1200W draw) I hope I might get away with a 1500/3000W PSW.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have several Vector 400W inverters. Don't know if it's the same with yours, but mine don't have a thermal switch for the fan. When the power switched is on, the fan is running.

One of the 400W inverters had a dead fan from the factory. After comparing it with the other two, and finally opening it up, I discovered the fan was getting 12V, but wasn't working. I installed a new fan, works fine now.

The other two inverters operate lighting every night, for the past couple of years. One operates lights from dusk/dawn every night. The fans in both of these died as well. They started getting noisy as the bushing was failing. All my Vector inverters now have Sunon fans, purchased online at Digi-Key. No issues now. They are quieter than the stock fans, but not completely silent.

Details on swapping the fan here: http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/inverterfix2manytoyz.htm

The ground/neutral issue is fairly common. I keep them isolated to avoid issues.
  • SirSparks
    Options
    2manytoyz wrote: »
    I have several Vector 400W inverters. Don't know if it's the same with yours, but mine don't have a thermal switch for the fan. When the power switched is on, the fan is running.

One of the 400W inverters had a dead fan from the factory. After comparing it with the other two, and finally opening it up, I discovered the fan was getting 12V, but wasn't working. I installed a new fan, works fine now.

The other two inverters operate lighting every night, for the past couple of years. One operates lights from dusk/dawn every night. The fans in both of these died as well. They started getting noisy as the bushing was failing. All my Vector inverters now have Sunon fans, purchased online at Digi-Key. No issues now. They are quieter than the stock fans, but not completely silent.

Details on swapping the fan here: http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/inverterfix2manytoyz.htm

The ground/neutral issue is fairly common. I keep them isolated to avoid issues.

Thanks for the input Robert.

Actually for the first 3 weeks of life the cooling fan barely ran at all., I cured the problem by only using it for heavier day time loads and I have purchased a new smaller inverter for ONLY the fridge so I can sleep.