Options
2»

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: array distance to controls
    solarvic wrote: »
    Most of the GT inverters are either 500 vdc or 600vdc and are used all the time so having a 600 vdc charge controler shouldn,t be less safe.

I'm talking about for the average Joe cobbling his own system together. You zap yourself with 120 volts AC and you learn not to do that again. You energize your system with 500 volts DC and zap yourself and you don't get another chance to do anything. It is NOT something for an untrained hobbyist to handle. Does a 600 volt charge controller solve some big prolbems? Yes.

My battery bank is 192 volts DC nominal, usually floating around 220. That voltage in DC is really pushing it (220 AC wouldn't be nearly as dangerous). I know what the risks are and my system design makes sure I'm not exposed to more than 48 volts at any given time, and in most places its only 24 volts.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: array distance to controls
    techntrek wrote: »
    my system design makes sure I'm not exposed to more than 48 volts at any given time, and in most places its only 24 volts.

Perfect! Yup, anything over 50 volts is considered "high voltage", but DC will take you out before AC. I have a home made 60 volt electric motorcycle and I am very conscious of where it goes up from 48. When I work on the wiring I do it with my left hand held behind my back. I know just enough about DC to stay the heck away from voltages over 50. I am simply ignorant of how to safely handle higher DC volts. I write this only on the hope that it cautions someone.