110-120v battery charger info

Options
simagic
simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
So I have a battery charger that I plug in to the wall (110-120v) when the days are cloudy and I want to "bring back" my battery. It's called the BatteryMinder (link here )

http://www.batterymart.com/p-batteryminder-12v-2-4-8a-battery-charger.html

and I have the BlueSky 2512ix controller with the remote ( for battery info). So here's the "issue". Let's say the remote from the controller says I'm down 44 AH from full, ( from a 220AH battery) and only at 80% battery capacity ( It gives me both pieces of info). Well now I plug in the BatteryMinder. I set it on 8amps. It charges my battery and after being in bulk it goes into the float mode ( indicating it reached it's parameters). My voltage on the remote then reads as it is fully charged ......... ((( BUT ))).....my remote still reads that it's down 44 AH from full and still 80% battery capacity. ......those numbers didn't change even though the BatteryMinder is in float. I have the negative of the BatteryMinder going to the negative of the shunt and the positive of the BatteyMinder going to the positive on the battery.
Shouldn't those numbers change as well ????????? Any thoughts from you guys?
Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options
    Re: 110-120v battery charger info

Have you checked the specific gravity of the battery bank?

Also, what kind of battery monitor do you have? Normally, they have some sort of "reset" setting... Something like >14.2 volts for 2 hours will reset to 100% full...

Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

-Bill

PS: If you have the same Battery Minder charger I have--the charger goes into a "pulse" charging cycle that is supposed to desulfate the battery--perhaps that is confusing the Battery Monitor?
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • simagic
    simagic Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

They are AGM's. Can't check specific gravity. The voltage was good, although it was just after the charge so I have to wait a few hours. The battery monitor, as I mentioned, is the remote from the 2512ix. I sent a link to "my" BatteryMinder. Is it the same as yours as you as you elude to? So, if it's the same as yours ( mine also speaks of the pulse mode), then do you think that is the "confusing" issue.

UPDATE.......Although the numbers previously mentioned did not change after the charge from the BatteryMinder, as soon as the sun started to hit my panels (ie.charge going thru the controller), the numbers jumped to 100% full and 0 AH from full. Interesting, but I don't understand why???????. Is this the same BatteryMinder you have?????
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

This is the model I have... (got it from NAWS--but it looks like they don't carry them any more).

About the only things I can see changing--Check battery self discharge--should be around 2% per month for AGMs. Also, you can recalibrate shunt zero current setting...

If you have a long wiring run from the charge controller to the IPN display, you could have excessive voltage drop to the remote unit:
    Confirm that with backlight ON and with highest possible charge or discharge current flowing in system, voltage difference between “COM test point” and “SHUNT –” on the back of the IPN-ProRemote is less than ±1.0V at all times, with less voltage drop being better. Correct wiring as necessary. Consider not using backlight.

By the way, I did not receive any PM's from you with a link to your Battery Minder...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Seven
    Seven Solar Expert Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Options

Is it possible that the readout you are getting is because it is only reading the in and out through the charge controller? If there is some kind of diode to keep current from going into the cc on the output side then the shunt may not read it as flow because it is not passing through. When the panels became active is when the readings changed. That is where I am basing my hypothesis.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm using an Iota 75A charger to replenish the battery bank on rainy days. I'm not having the issues you are. I have a Xantrex LinkPRO battery monitor. I can see how much current is flowing in/out of the battery bank, including how much current the charger is supplying.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have the negative side of the battery charger hooked to the wrong side of the shunt. This would explain why your battery monitor does not detect any charging from your grid powered charger, but does from your solar array. If so, easy fix.