Fuse and swith for Air X installation?

Options
Mariner777
Mariner777 Solar Expert Posts: 29
Am trying to source fuses and switches for a pair of Air X wind turbines I'm installing on my sailboat. As its a boat stainless steel would be preferable for the switch. Am I correct that I only need one fuse on the positive lead for each turbine or do I need a fuse on both wires? Ie 2 or 4 fuses total. Local shops dont seem to carry 50 amp DC fuses and the highest rated switch I got was 35 amps - am thinking of returning it as the manual says it should be 50 amps. Might the 35 amp switch cause a fire in a huge gust of wind? Any pointers to where to get these parts cheap and with reasonable quality would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Fuse and swith for Air X installation?

How about one of these: http://www.solar-electric.com/miblseabases.html
    "Meets American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) requirements for battery switches."
    Ought to work on a boat then, eh? :D Capable of 300 Amps too.

And yes, you only need one fuse on each positive cable; not necessary to fuse the negatives. Here's a product that might work (especially as it mentions the AirX in the description): http://www.solar-electric.com/30and50ampdc.html

I think Blue Sea also makes some nice fuse set-ups that are suitable for marine use.
  • Brianellul
    Brianellul Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Fuse and swith for Air X installation?
    Mariner777 wrote: »
    Am trying to source fuses and switches for a pair of Air X wind turbines I'm installing on my sailboat. As its a boat stainless steel would be preferable for the switch. Am I correct that I only need one fuse on the positive lead for each turbine or do I need a fuse on both wires? Ie 2 or 4 fuses total. Local shops dont seem to carry 50 amp DC fuses and the highest rated switch I got was 35 amps - am thinking of returning it as the manual says it should be 50 amps. Might the 35 amp switch cause a fire in a huge gust of wind? Any pointers to where to get these parts cheap and with reasonable quality would be much appreciated.

I would not worry much about what the manual says with regards to current handling. The answer is simple! 50amps is the absolute max which the turbine will put out for a fraction of a second before it stalls.

I own a Marine 24v Air-X and never saw the amp meter above 15amps except for very, very small brief periods during high wind gusts.

Brian