Converting my sailboat to the utmost efficiency

Options
Mariner777
Mariner777 Solar Expert Posts: 29
So for a few weeks now I've been working on the efficiency side of the PV power equation on my sailboat. I have an Engel MT45 with the transit bag for added insulation. I got foam backed curtains for all portholes to help keep things cool inside. I got a global sun oven today though my first outing with it was a failure - it seems one of the latches is broken so the glass wasnt sealing completely there was a slight air gap and the oven only reached 100 C and my chicken thermometer didn't not pop out despite being out in the sun from dawn till dusk...

I switched to an HP netbook with a DC to DC charger so no inverters. I bought a pair of fantastic vent 12 volt endless breeze fans that only draw about an amp each and I try to only use 1 as much as possible. I swapped all my incandescent bulbs to LEDs - some 3 watt and one 1 watt (night time reading lamp in my bunk)...

Short of possibly trying to add more insulation to the Engel I think I've maxed things out... Any other ideas? My meter said I received 64 amp hours today from my solar panels but I am still running a deficit and my batteries are slowly discharging in net...

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Converting my sailboat to the utmost efficiency

We don't know all the details here, like what you have for batteries/what AH rating, and of course what you have for solar panels. That aside, if your meter is correct and you have indeed received 64 AH into your batteries today, and considering the loads you mentioned, unless at least one fan is running 24/7 and likewise your computer, it doesn't make sense that your batteries are slowly getting drained. This drain must be reversed by whatever means and quickly to save your batteries from early death. Hopefully it's not already too late. Are there other loads you haven't mentioned ?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options
    Re: Converting my sailboat to the utmost efficiency

Personally, I would get an inexpensive DC Current Clamp Meter (like this one from Sears) and measure every load/circuit out there and estimate how much power each uses (including xx Hours at YY amps).

And, use the meter to measure the current output from each of your panels/accessible array connections and see that they are outputting the current you expect. Smaller/more efficient laptop, "portable" radios/gps/etc. that run off of AA/Rechargeable batteries, LED running/anchor lamps, etc. to cut power use to an absolute minimum.

Conservation and ensuring everything is operating at peak efficiency is about the best you can do--other than shutting stuff down or using alternative power sources (engine, towed alternator, etc.)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset