Roll-up panel storage?

Options
Greetings i'm new to this (any) forum so correct me if i'm doing something wrong it seems like i'm jumping into the middle but don't know how to start a new thread.....i'm getting some unisolar pvl 68 flexable panels, usually used on steel roofing they are adhesive backed 15.5 in wide and 10 ft long. I perfer these for there flexability and low shipping cost but want to give them a bit more stability yet still be able to roll them up for storage while not in use. they will used both on an RV and a sailboat...the best i've come up with is 1/8 in pvc sheeting which could be screwed to roof racks on RV questions anyone have any experience with these, will the adhesive back stick well to pvc,any other ideas for flexible yet strong backing ideas(thought of foil coated bubble wrap but seems like it might be TOO flexable at 65 mph???? thanx for any help/ideas
Mike

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Roll-up panel storage?

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

I've split this off into a new thread because it's quite different from the house boat application. If you wish to start a new thread, there's a button "New Thread" in the upper left under each category (not within a thread).

You've got an interesting idea there: a backing with flexible panels fastened to it that can be rolled up for storage. I'm not familiar with the flex panels in question so I don't know anything about their properties, but surely someone around here is. One of the issues is how many times they could be rolled without failure.

The foil covered bubble wrap (Reflectix - radiant heat barrier - I've used it for what it's for) isn't very structural and would be likely to tear in general use with panels on it. Certainly wouldn't resist 65 mph air flow.

Heavy-duty poly tarping such as professional truckers use might work.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i do hope you realize how inefficient these amorphous pvs are? they take up about twice the area to produce the same power.

how much lower can they ship for if mounted to steel?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanx for the remarks. they are not mounted on steel.... come rolled up on an adhesive backing that is commonly attached to steel roofing. 140 watts of output are approx 10 ft x 30 in(2..5 ft) 25 sq/ft...so a typical 135 watt hard panel(12 volt) = 2ft x 5 ft 10sq ft = your point ..... the flexability is what got my attention since the use is sometimes on a small RV and sometimes on a 30 ft sailboat which are both left unattended at times while I'm off doing work projects. sadly I've had hard panels stolen w/ the use of those pesky battery powered saw-alls !!! also don't need charge while not around, so the securing inside the vehicle/vessel sounded good to me......i'll grant you I'm not always in the best part of town and solar panels look like big money to low-lifes I,m a itinerent construction worker and go where the work is.....maximizing $$ saved to $$ earned (keeping overhead low)is what makes it possible to go cruising a month at a time...physical/mental ailments heal up and i'm back to work
    I'm in southern NY and find getting a good price on hard panels.... usually shipping = the price of a panel to get it to me. 280 watts of above product gets to my house for about $850...i've got a 25 amp mwp controller (not stolen when i lost panels) and batteries same price no matter which way i go.... Not stuck on any of this just tryin to figure it out...i realize my comparitively small investment is of little interest to most retailers..the money seems to be in design and installation,being a builder i get that......so thanx for you time
    Flexability vs degradation is a very good question and persueing that w/manufacturer mike
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ok, my misunderstanding. i guess you already acknowledge the inefficiencies of them, but are trying to just secure low cost per watt.:cool: