Old Bergey must go

Thom
Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
I have a 1980s windmill and tower 125 feet . It's a 120v dc system . It is not working . Does not spin . Lots of problems with wind farms in area . How would you get rid of it ? Is it worth anything ?

Thanks Thom
Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Re: Old Bergey must go

Somebody might take the tower off your hands--if it is in good shape. Perhaps even the turbine too.

I don't know how much money you will get (tower is probably worth more than the turbine). Might just be enough to pay for the tower to be taken down using a crane (or sell for scrap value).

In any case, I believe you are out of Main (US) and we do allow posters here to list any used solar equipment they have for sale/trade/free--If you wish to do that.

By the way, what do you mean by "Lots of problems with wind farms in area"? Sounds ominous.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

put an ad in the paper "free old wind turbine if you buy tower for xx dollars. you dismantle and haul."
  • Thom

B.B I live on the north end of lake Ontario . Some want big Wind farms and some dont . Big zoning fight . Lots of bumper stickers for and against big wind. Death threats , blah blah blah. It's like the north south thing.

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Thom wrote: »
    B.B I live on the north end of lake Ontario . Some want big Wind farms and some dont . Big zoning fight . Lots of bumper stickers for and against big wind. Death threats , blah blah blah. It's like the north south thing.

Thom

Always amazes me how those against renewable energy sources are very vocal, but unwilling to reduce or stop their use of polluting, destructive conventional sources. All talk but no action except for threatening, fighting and harming those who want renewable energy. And of course spreading emotional lies about such sources.
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

That tower sounds like something I could use for my wind generator. I wonder what customs would say about hauling something like that across the border?
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

Thom, Snuffy, Wayne and me...almost everyone on this thread is Canadian!:D

Snuffy, tower in pieces or coming accross the border in one piece?;)

Ralph

PS I once gave a friend a utility trailer, it was that or scrap it, and he had to pay PST of 8 cents...valued the trailer at $1.00 because there had to be a value for registration change. Crazy. Imagine trying to valuate a retired wind turbine tower.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Snuffy, tower in pieces or coming across the border in one piece?;)Ralph

If in one piece, would be a good chance to bring across a few nice long clothes lines at the same time, they'd sell up here, lots of people looking to dry "naturally". :p:p
  • snuffy
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    Thom, Snuffy, Wayne and me...almost everyone on this thread is Canadian!:D
    I'm almost Canadian. My wife is and I live right next to Canada.
  • Thom

Ralph
    I live just across the ST Lawerance river by Wolf island.

Thom
  • snuffy

Ontario or Quebec?
  • Thom

Oh Ontario. Is that the Don Cherry side or state or Provence ?(:0)
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Always amazes me how those against renewable energy sources are very vocal, but unwilling to reduce or stop their use of polluting, destructive conventional sources. All talk but no action except for threatening, fighting and harming those who want renewable energy. And of course spreading emotional lies about such sources.
    The problem in one phrase: NIMBY

Or "out of sight, out of mind" - your pick.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    drees wrote: »
    The problem in one phrase: NIMBY

Or "out of sight, out of mind" - your pick.

Have you seen the mockups of what the offshore turbines proposed for the Atlantic off Cape Cod would look like from shore? Tiny spikes on the horizon, no more, and yet the well to do residents of the Cape are successfully blocking them because it "spoils their view".
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    Have you seen the mockups of what the offshore turbines proposed for the Atlantic off Cape Cod would look like from shore? Tiny spikes on the horizon, no more, and yet the well to do residents of the Cape are successfully blocking them because it "spoils their view".

odd isn't it that the tankers and other large ships that go by don't bother their view?:confused:
  • snuffy

So is this setup for sale or what?