Inverter with transfer option

Does someone make an inverter that can switch over to grid AC power when the battery power drops too low? I want to run it off a battery bank that is charged by solar panels but if the battery voltage drops too low I would like for it to switch over to household AC power. I'm not sure I want the inverter to charge the batteries. That is a nice option but when the sun comes up all that nice solar power will be wasted since the system is almost never used during the day (until I retire anyway).
I'm looking for a small system - 500 to 1,000 watts. I already have a small 12V system but will consider setting up a larger 24 or 48 volt system.

I'll post another question on going smallest grid tied for comparison.

Thanks in advance,
Tomas

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Inverter with transfer option

I believe that the Xantrex SW series has pretty much those options (however, Xantrex is discontinuing the SW series inverters)... Outback may too...

You probably would have to go through the manual in detail to see what options are in the inverter/charger units--and in some cases, you may have to purchase separate devices (like Outback's host/mate products) to access those features.

I have always wondered if somebody could connect a battery monitor (one that monitors current in/out for state of charge) and program it to control inverters and AC/DC source chargers...

In your case, it would be analogous to using the inverter with a external generator for backup.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Inverter with transfer option
    Does someone make an inverter that can switch over to grid AC power when the battery power drops too low? I want to run it off a battery bank that is charged by solar panels but if the battery voltage drops too low I would like for it to switch over to household AC power. I'm not sure I want the inverter to charge the batteries. That is a nice option but when the sun comes up all that nice solar power will be wasted since the system is almost never used during the day (until I retire anyway). I'm looking for a small system - 500 to 1,000 watts.
    The OutBack inverter/chargers can be set up to do just this. See the “HBX Mode” in the Mate manual. The battery charging current can be limited or turned off. Only problem is that their smallest inverter is 2000 W.

I suspect the Xantrex inverters can be configured to operate similarly.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer