Battery case questions...

I'm very new to solar and am just trying to get the things I need and get started. I am wondering if something like http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/marine-smart-box.aspx?a=784532 this will hold a deep cycle battery or if it is made strictly for marine batteries. Also, if it won't work, what would be a good weatherproof alternative? I live in WI, so being weatherproof is a huge consideration, 100+ in the summer some days, -30 in the winter. Thank you for any info, I have already gotten a lot of help just reading posts!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Battery case questions...

Welcome to the forum.

The link provided only went to their front page, so I presume you mean "Marine Smart Box" under Boating Electrical. It says it fits Group 24 and Group 27 batteries so that's about 12" by 6.5" by 8". Looking through a few of the 12 Volt deep cycles from Crown I don't see many that would fit in there.

You'd be better off determining what you need in battery first, then building a wooded box to accommodate it. With your own container you can insulate and vent as needed. The -30 won't be a problem if they're kept charged, but the +100 will definitely steal some power. Keeping them out of the sun would be a good idea.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Battery case questions...

as was mentioned, do figure on the size of the battery that you will need before buying anything. the commercial battery box will afford better rainproofing/waterproofing, but it can be made too if you are up to the challenge.