Any need to run conduit?

bluewickedburner
bluewickedburner Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭✭✭
Scenario: from roof top (MH) to storage bay where charge controller will be housed.

I have/found/free 75' of OO stranded welding wire. The wire run is 30 maximum considering a maximum of 15" in each direction (positive/neg). Do I need to or is it advisable to run it inside conduit at it comes down from the roof though an interior wall where the space inside the wall is about 12" x 20" with an 8' drop and almost nothing in there except for some panel wiring (meters, some switches)?

Inside wall.

From there it goes through the floor and then over to the storage bay. It will not run over anything that moves but will be in some proximity to some other wiring mostly bundled AC. Nothing would be closely packed and this wire would not touch any other wire.

I will run some video cables along the same path.

If yes, what would be the best kind to use?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Any need to run conduit?

You want to use 2/0 wire for an array? Egad! How many kilowatts is this thing? :p

Not absolutely sure, but I think the NEC has strict rules about putting DC wiring inside conduit. They want it, exposed or not.

Of course in this case you may have to use 4" ABS plumbing fittings ... :p
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Any need to run conduit?
    Scenario: from roof top (MH) to storage bay where charge controller will be housed.

I have/found/free 75' of OO stranded welding wire. The wire run is 30 maximum considering a maximum of 15" in each direction (positive/neg). Do I need to or is it advisable to run it inside conduit at it comes down from the roof though an interior wall where the space inside the wall is about 12" x 20" with an 8' drop and almost nothing in there except for some panel wiring (meters, some switches)?

Inside wall.

From there it goes through the floor and then over to the storage bay. It will not run over anything that moves but will be in some proximity to some other wiring mostly bundled AC. Nothing would be closely packed and this wire would not touch any other wire.

I will run some video cables along the same path.

If yes, what would be the best kind to use?
    It depends. Is code compliance important to you? If so, yes, you will need conduit everywhere except for the home runs from the modules to the transition box where you switch from your USE-2/PV wire to whatever you are using to connect to your charge controller. 2/0 sounds like extreme overkill to me but free is a hard price to beat. You might find, however, that the conduit and connectors you will have to buy to use that wire offset the savings. BTW, running high voltage DC wiring without conduit is a pretty significant fire hazard.