Charging batteries with generator

The Only Sarge
The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
I searched and could not find anything so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

If I wished to charge my battery bank with a grid/gasoline powered charger do I need to disconnect panels or controllers?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Charging batteries with generator

Normally, no... Each charge controller will makes its decision based on battery voltage, time, and current...

The charge controller with the highest voltage set-point will "win" in the end.

Depending on battery type--for example flooded cell--You might wish to avoid over 25% or of 20 Hour Battery Rating so that you do not overheat the battery with too much current (solar panels + Grid Power >25% of battery bank capacity charging at the same time may cause batteries to overheat).

One solution to the above problem is to use charge controllers with Remote Battery Temperature Sensors--As batteries get hot--their charging voltage falls--and a non-temperature compensated charge controller may supply even more current and overcharge the battery bank (thermal run-a-way).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Charging batteries with generator

Thank you...very informative sir............