110 vs 220

Options
JESSICA
JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
Is 220/240 intrinsically better than 110/120 volts?

As you may remember, my Sanyo mini-split is a 120 volts unit, but most mini-split air conditioners are 220/240 volts. So I wonder, just out of curiosity, What are the advantages of air conditioners, or any other appliance, that run on 220/240?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 110 vs 220
    JESSICA wrote: »

As you may remember, my Sanyo mini-split is a 120 volts unit, but most mini-split air conditioners are 220/240 volts. So I wonder, just out of curiosity, What are the advantages of air conditioners, or any other appliance, that run on 220/240?

Thanks.

It's pretty much the same discussion as "what system Voltage is better?"; the more power a device needs, the better it is to consider upping the Voltage rather than just draw more Amps.

For example water pumps are often available as 120/240 VAC units, switchable between the two. This would be in the 1/2 to 3/4 HP "surface" or "jet" pumps. Because of the nature of the beast, they don't draw a fixed current. The more work the pump has to do, the better off you are with the higher Voltage.

And as with the array Voltage issue, if the wire runs are long the higher Voltage will have less drop. So when you see a 1 HP deep well pump it is certain to be 240 VAC.

You can argue that one is safer than the other. We used to joke that Europeans prefer to burn their houses down with an arc whereas North Americans prefer to burn their houses down with an overheated wire. :p You could also say that for domestic purposes 120 is safer because of the "zero Voltage" grounding wire. But it's all dangerous.

For really heavy-duty use 3-phase is used: 240 VAC with 3 sinewaves super-imposed on one another across three wires. Same current, same Voltage, 3 times the power (roughly).
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the same power consumed (wattage), doubling the voltage cuts the current consumed in half, assuming it's now feeding a 220 volt mini-split, instead of a 110 volt unit. That allows for 1/4 the power loss in the supply lines from supply to load, or put another way, allows you to install the load 4 times further away from the source (using the same size wires), than you could run an otherwise identical 110 volt load. OR, it could allow you to use smaller diameter electrical supply cable, which can be important in circuits carrying heavy loads.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Options
    JESSICA wrote: »

I'm going to vote for 110/120, if you are using less than 2000w on average.
    If you use more (like on my 24,000 BTU Sanyo), you should go with 220/240.

One good reason to stick with 120v is the availability of less expensive 120v sinewave inverters..

As you may have read, I want to buy a new 220v inverter to run my Sanyo.
    But, I'm being sold on the idea of going for a sinewave unit..

Instead, I'm wondering about using an El-Cheapo transformer
    http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC3000W
    And see if it can pass MSWs from my 2.5kw 120vac inverter(48vdc in) :p
    If it failed to work, I could then spring for a cheaper 120vac sinewave
    inverter that would drive the transformer (and the Sanyo).. :D
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    Options
    XRinger wrote: »
    I'm going to vote for 110/120, if you are using less than 2000w on average.
    If you use more (like on my 24,000 BTU Sanyo), you should go with 220/240.

One good reason to stick with 120v is the availability of less expensive 120v sinewave inverters..

As you may have read, I want to buy a new 220v inverter to run my Sanyo.
    But, I'm being sold on the idea of going for a sinewave unit..

:D

XRinger:

I have thought of that myself. And being poorer than most of you, I also have to take into account inverters prices.

Nevertheless, I do not see big difference in prices between 120 and 220 inverters. At least, Magnum inverters, whether 120 or 220 are priced more or less equally (maybe $100 difference.) See http://www.solar-electric.com/maenms4444wa.html

As for MSW inverter: After reading the answers to my question in another thread I decided I will not risk my beloved Sanyo powering it with my - as you call it - "El Cheapo" AIMS msw. Right now, as I writte this, it is around 90 F, and humidity is around a 200% (a small exageration!) in Puerto Rico, but it is nice and cool iside this room, thanks to Sanyo's mini-split.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Options

We just had our hottest day of the year, but foolishly waited until it was
    up to 88F indoors, before turning on the Sanyo in cooling mode.
    (First time this year).

It got the air feeling a lot better, pretty quick and within an hour,
    it was nice in here. Out total Sanyo use for the day was 5 kwh ($1.05),
    before the sun went down and it started feeling like autumn again!

I'm still thinking about using solar to partially power the Sanyo.
    But, I may have to be happy taking some other loads off the grid.
    (Loads that don't mind MSWs).

Cheers,
    Rich