Best Hydrometer?

Options
sub3marathonman
sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
On the NAWS site, there are two Freas hydrometers, the HD98C or the HD99M, both just about the same price.

I was wondering if people had a real preference for either one.

Also, the HD98C has a four-ounce bulb, as opposed to the HD99M two-ounce bulb, so I was wondering if that made any difference.

The other choice, the Brady, has the two-ounce bulb and three hole cork, but I have no idea why you need three hole cork or if three hole cork will last in a hydrometer.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Best Hydrometer?

there is very little between all hydrometers.. what is important when you get one check it against a fully charged (new)lead acid battery you just bought or one in a shop of a similar type to the one/s you are going to buy.,Note trhat reading it is going to be the best you will ever get. that will give you a reference point. Any hydrometer inaccuracies are then not important.
  • Ehutch
    Ehutch Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options

I have been using a very cheap one that gives consistent results. I got it at the local auto parts store. It has red, white, and green bands for calibration. I learned that the edge of the green to white is as high as it will ever get. The calibration is far from perfect but consistent.

I also keep it in a quart sized very clean plastic milk carton. There is just enough room to stand it up in the corner of the battery box so I don't have to "clean it" after use. It is safe where nobody will put it in a mouth or something, and no dust will contaminate it. The plastic carton contains the few drops of acid that drip off the end. It is handy that the hydrometer is light enough so that it doesn't tip over the carton and hangs by the rim of the bulb without quite touching the bottom.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

put it into a glass type container as that is acid. even if the plastic doesn't melt through it could contaminate the end of the hydrometer with plastic. even if there may be plastic involved with the hydrometer itself remember that not all plastic is the same.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    there is very little between all hydrometers.

There are some junk hydrometers out there. The plastic ones at many auto parts outlets with a black plastic pointer on a hinge are junk.

Alway get a free float based hydrometer.

The ones sold at forum sponsor, Wind & Sun are good ones.

Just handle with care. A sharp jarring can break the float inside.

http://store.solar-electric.com/br10prbahy.html
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭
    Options

Have never seen here this type..
    There are some junk hydrometers out there. The plastic ones at many auto parts outlets with a black plastic pointer on a hinge are junk

All the ones sold at auto stores and battery shops here are the float type
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    john p wrote: »
    Have never seen here this type..
    There are some junk hydrometers out there. The plastic ones at many auto parts outlets with a black plastic pointer on a hinge are junk

All the ones sold at auto stores and battery shops here are the float type

Good! :D

Here in NA there's lots of those "floating needle" types - although they are more common for anti-freeze - and they aren't much good. The glass tube and bobber type are far more accurate, regardless of make.

If you stick with whatever one you start with you'll be okay, as essentially you're measuring relative SG - relative to your particular 'fully charged with new batteries' mark.

Another care tip: lay them down flat when not in use. Standing them up on the rubber fill tube in a glass jar is a formula for broken hydrometer; the tube will crack. But a lot of people do that. (Okay, it took me three hydrometers before I learned this about 40 years ago. :blush:)
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good! :D

Here in NA there's lots of those "floating needle" types - although they are more common for anti-freeze - and they aren't much good. The glass tube and bobber type are far more accurate, regardless of make.

If you stick with whatever one you start with you'll be okay, as essentially you're measuring relative SG - relative to your particular 'fully charged with new batteries' mark.

Another care tip: lay them down flat when not in use. Standing them up on the rubber fill tube in a glass jar is a formula for broken hydrometer; the tube will crack. But a lot of people do that. (Okay, it took me three hydrometers before I learned this about 40 years ago. :blush:)

Yes, I saw that kind at the local battery shop for about $9. I thought that if NAWS is selling one for four times that, there must be a difference. I find that it is better to spend on the quality initially, than get junk and have to replace it.

And speaking of replacing, thanks Cariboocoot for the tip about storage. I probably wouldn't have known until I broke one myself.