What did your PV system cost?

Self installed, professionally installed, before rebates, after rebates, per KWh AC production, etc?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: What did your PV system cost?

pro installed, 4.5KW array, Xantrax GT3.8inverter $32K

7MW production /year @ about 16c KW
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Self-installed,no rebates, 434 W array off grid with 330AH of batteries, $ 5179.42.
    8 months totals: 222,949.80 watts used, net savings of $33.06.

I will not see a payback in my lifetime, but when the lights went out 3 times last night and I still had lights, well worth it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Turnkey install through Home Depot / BP Solar (Sept 2005) 3.5kW of panels, 3kW rated, $29k installed, about $20k after Ca and Fed rebates/tax credits.

To date, just flipped 13,000 kWhrs on a Time Of Use metering plan... ~12.9kWhrs per day since Sept 2005 San Mateo, CA.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Canadian $, was about 85% American $ when purchasing hardware. Should have waited. Did get the MX-60 on par though.
    Started 6 or 7 years ago, gradually built up and changed as backtracks were required to get on the path I ended up on. This all cost extra, a learning process. All work done by myself, so all my costs were hardware.
    Would have cost a lot less if I had a firm and final plan from the start. But, if I had known the total cost at the start, it would never have happened.
    1KW off grid system, probably close to Canadian $15. per watt all costs in.
    No, it will not financially pay for itself in my lifetime, but it's an awesome feeling to to have energy security - - so what if the grid goes down for a month.
    Yes it cost a lot of money, but for me it's well worth it and I don't have the hangover in the morning that so many of my neighbors have, spending the same amount of money on their beer. They "would never be so foolish" as to pay that kind of money for solar.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • System2
    Canadian $, was about 85% American $ when purchasing hardware. Should have waited. Did get the MX-60 on par though.
    Started 6 or 7 years ago, gradually built up and changed as backtracks were required to get on the path I ended up on. This all cost extra, a learning process. All work done by myself, so all my costs were hardware.
    Would have cost a lot less if I had a firm and final plan from the start. But, if I had known the total cost at the start, it would never have happened.
    1KW off grid system, probably close to Canadian $15. per watt all costs in.
    No, it will not financially pay for itself in my lifetime, but it's an awesome feeling to to have energy security - - so what if the grid goes down for a month.
    Yes it cost a lot of money, but for me it's well worth it and I don't have the hangover in the morning that so many of my neighbors have, spending the same amount of money on their beer. They "would never be so foolish" as to pay that kind of money for solar.
    Cheers
    Wayne

It will probably still pay for itself quicker than you think.
  • System2
    sorka wrote: »
    It will probably still pay for itself quicker than you think.
    Thanks for the encouragement. On that same note, NS Power has just applied for a >12% increase in grid rates. Grid rates North America wide, can only go up, while baring some disaster, the PV hardware is a one time, already paid for cost.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭

Self installed, 2.5 kW (PTC) grid-tied, $19989.21, including tax and shipping. Rebates $7947.10, making net cost $12042.11 ($4.11 per STC watt). Got a little more than 6500 kWh in the first year. We don't expect financial payback any time soon, maybe never, as this generates nearly 100% of our kWh's.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭

Got 2.4 kw installed and 1600w waiting in the wings but still get hangovers :confused:

But Happy as Larry;)
  • jza80
    jza80 Registered Users Posts: 13

Prof installed 5.5kW (5kW AC output) Sunpower system ran $44.3K for everything including all in-attic/wall wiring runs, remote monitor panel, permit fees. About $32K after rebates and tax credits.

Payback is in the 10 year range at today's rates for our usage, however that does not include any resale value increase for "Green" improvements, which are really getting popular around here. An expensive addition, for sure, but it was worth it to us to make the commitment for our own financial interests, and for the environmental benefit.

Late November, 2007 installation.

Other recent installs, post up!