Update on Wally World batteries

RCinFLA
RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
Back on August 26th, 2009 there was a thread started on SAM's club golf cart batteries that started a long thread on chain store batteries.

At that time I stated that I had begun replacing my 8-10 year old Delco Voyager batteries, that I was very happy with but my K-Mart source dried up, with Everstart MAX29 batteries.

My quote was: "Jury still out on these Wally World batteries. I have not been impressed with variability of the Wally World batteries. I alway check date code and battery voltage before buying. I charge them and check SG. I have had some with as high as 1.305 SG and low as 1.258 SG fully charged after purchase. Also fill level varies from battery to battery. Just seems like poor quality control."

Well my jury decision has now been made. The Wally world batteries are consistantly dying after 4 to 5 years, primarily due to poor separator material used that result in cell short failures. In my 48v system, a cell short failure usually means taking the other three batteries in series with it unless I quickly discover it.

I also said that if I was a manufacturer of Marine batteries I would be hesitant on warranties as typical Marine boat useage is probably most abused batteries.

Well I just discovered that as of about November 2009, Walmart no longer provides any warranty on these batteries. Seem they have also recognized their batteries are poor quality.

Time to bite the bullet and go with Lifeline AGM's.

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Update on Wally World batteries

Two things:

Lifeline are not meant nor warranted for off grid use, only RV and marine use. The SunXtender line are for off grid.

Also, AGM batteries are not always the best when you consider cost vs capacity. They are great for some applications, especially where maintenance might be poor or difficult, or the batteries are indoors. But in some cases you might as well off or better using good quality flooded, such as Surrette, Crown, or Trojan.
  • jeffkruse
    jeffkruse Solar Expert Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

4 to 5 years on cheap batteries sounds good to me. :confused:
  • bryanl
    bryanl Solar Expert Posts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭

re "The Wally world batteries are consistantly dying after 4 to 5 years, primarily due to poor separator material used that result in cell short failures."

4 - 5 years is about what you'd expect from the chart in the FAQ for this type of battery. The strange thing is the cell shorts. That is a rather unusual mode of failure. I am wondering about the quality of the measure (statistical basis).

I think it also worth of note that WalMart does not manufacture batteries. There are very few battery OEM's and the technology is rather mature - i.e. they are more of a commodity item.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

my wally world batteries died in 3 years, but got plenty of abuse. crewzer started on them as well and i am unsure how long he had his before he too switched to agm.
  • notsobright
    notsobright Solar Expert Posts: 247 ✭✭
    Windsun wrote: »
    Lifeline are not meant nor warranted for off grid use, only RV and marine use. The SunXtender line are for off grid.

just a note on this. when I contacted Lifeline before purchasing my AGM I told them my situation which is basically an off grid system in an RV where 99% of charging was from PV.

I was told that in order to avoid a voided warranty I must use the Lifeline instead of the SunXtender since its mounted in an RV. specifically because the internal design and vibrations involved in an RV aplication. I would have preffered the SunXtender but warranty is more important than a few extra AH.