Cheap MPPT regulator from China - true and not fake?

Options
kjetil
kjetil Solar Expert Posts: 31
I wanna buy a cheap MPPT regulator from China, but how do I know if it is a true MPPT regulator and not a fake one?

Comments

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options
  • AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Cheap MPPT regulator from China - true and not fake?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a few questions in return:

Why do you want to buy a "cheap MPPT regulator from China"? What is your budget? In what kind (size, function, type of panels) of PV system will you use your charge controller? Are you willing to risk destroying an expensive battery bank to save some money on your charge controller?

ETA: Considering that our host offers the Midnite Kid MPPT charge controller, which can handle up to 30 Amps output, for under $300 (adding a temperature sensor, the WhizBang Jr. current sensor and a shunt will bring the total to around $375, plus shipping), you may not actually save much money by buying "a cheap MPPT regulator from China." That being said, I do know that at least one forum participant (jimindenver) has reported good results from a $102 basic MPPT charge controller. Perhaps you can send him a PM about the details.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kjetil wrote: »
    I wanna buy a cheap MPPT regulator from China, but how do I know if it is a true MPPT regulator and not a fake one?

Kjetil, please tell us what amount of money you are expecting to spend. $50, $75, $100, or? and don't forget to add on shipping unless they say it is free shipping...

There may be other options...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • gww1
    Options

auric

I can't speak for the origional poster of this thread however this controller was presented on another forum and that poster was given the same advice you just gave. I had heard that ebay is puttings cc on and claiming they were mppt and I was curious if this was one of the fake claims.
    gww
  • kjetil
    Options

Is there any truth in this video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2ICp7acvA
  • gww1
    Options

I will post the other thread just so kjetil knows that no one here is picking on him.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148536.0.html

I really like your approch westbranch.
    gww
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cheap and mppt are basically a contradiction in terms. Only big systems use mppt, and big systems require reliability, and are dangerous as well. In hind sight, any sane analsyis will show that proper UL listed gear is the only way to go.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• kjetil
    Options

Thank you for your response westbranch and gww1. :D

I was thinking around $100 for the MPPT regulator. I don`t have an expensive battery pack and I`m on a budget.

Thanks for the tip about the forum participant (jimindenver) Auric. I`ll PM him. :D

Did you watch the video I linked to in post #6? Is that a good way to judge if it is a real MPPT charger?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2ICp7acvA
  • westbranch
    Options

Kjetil, please remind us as to the panel you will be getting and how many?

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • gww1
    Options

kjetil
    I can't answer your question, I did watch about half of the vidio you posted.
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,472 admin
    Options

The "numbers" that he uses to compare PWM vs MPPT--And his description on how MPPT works--Not really great and close to bogus.

PWM and MPPT controllers with the proper 12 volt--Vmp~18 volt solar panels--Are much closer in output. If you have Vmp~30 volt panels, then MPPT will work much better (and running Vmp~30 volt panels on a 12 volt battery bank with a PWM controller--Yes, you will lose about 50% of the panel's output wattage).

Running a lead acid battery to 10.5 volts--Pretty much permanently kills the battery.

However, it appears that this controller is actually a "reasonable" low cost MPPT type charge controller (you can use Vmp~30 volt panels with this controller).

You should mount the controller on standoffs (at least a few inches) from the back wall to get better cooling to the back heat sinks.

How well it will work at full current and hot weather--I cannot really say.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    Options

Bill, with his mixed bag of 3 batteries I am thinking that if he can source some true 12V panels he could , at low cost, get 3 real cheap PWM CC's to tide him over tilll he gets all the part he needs.

• BB.
    Options

Yep--But buying more "cheap" PWM controllers and solar panels to limp by with dying batteries--May be a bit more frustrating (and will he be able to use the extra charge controllers and such later).

Do the best you can with what you have (supplies and money:cry:). Patching together a system without an overall plan/big picture review frequently pushes you into a corner.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    Options

Well I started with a middle level BlueSky 20A CC that was sold as 25A, and that blew my plan out of the water as I was going to use 3 8A panels... I at times wished I had started wit a couple or 4 cheap PWM CC's and then graduated to an MX60. In short order that became my spare and was displaced by 2 Classics.

• CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

For that Price , BUY a Brat from Midnight.
    After watching that Video . that is better than most I have bought & tested till i fried them , but Im not tossing a benny at one.

VT
  • jimindenver
    jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Options

HI Kjetil

I got your message.

Aside from a few quirks the Eco-worthy is a real, functioning MPPT controller. I follow people that use it as I do with 24v panels, and also two 12v panels in series up to 300w. I haven't seen a true MPPT controller for less than the $102 shipped for the Eco-w yet. Any other questions, just let me know.
  • kjetil
    Options

That`s great to hear Jim. I consider buying the Eco-Worthy 20a MPPT charge controller. :D

But it`s still Voc 15-42V DC? If a 100W solar panel has Voc 21.6V does that mean I can`t have them in series with the Eco-Worthy controller? (21.6 x 2 = 43.2V)
  • BB.
    Options

Yep. That is the problem with lower voltage MPPT controllers.

-Bill
  • kjetil
    Options

What happens if I do?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    What happens if I do?

You go buy a new charge controller.

Buy a good one instead. Cheap controllers are a false economy.
  • BB.
    Options

Don't know.

Perhaps nothing bad. Shuts down in cool weather. Overheats. Does not do MPPT function, just PWM. Works well for a while, then dies an early death.

-Bill
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a note about where this charge controller really comes from. MPP Solar Inc. is in TAIPEI, TAIWAN. Not really China. Taiwan has been producing electronics for decades, whereas China is a relative newcomer. FWIW

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • westbranch
    Options

And 2 quality Morningstar SS-10-12V PWM controllers at NAWS store are US$ 48 each = $96 plus shipping...

A MidNite KID MPPT is looking pretty good when you consider how versatile it is, it will handle 150Volts (plus battery voltage) and 30 Amps (or more in ), it just outputs 30A max

• kjetil
    Options

What is the lowest Voc on a solar panel? I`m looking at solar panels from 10W to 150W and everyone has Voc in the 21-22V range...
  • westbranch
    Options

For solar power as we understand it, ie the lowest Voltage battery we can use for powering an inverter or 'appliances' like cell phone chargers, is 12V and to properly (fully) charge a 12V battery you need about 17 volts VMP or more. Voc is used when choosing charge controllers. Inverters are subject to the high voltage needed to EQ and sometimes Float a battery, ie theey will go into over voltage and shut down, not really Voc...

hth

• jimindenver
    Options
    That`s great to hear Jim. I consider buying the Eco-Worthy 20a MPPT charge controller. :D

But it`s still Voc 15-42V DC? If a 100W solar panel has Voc 21.6V does that mean I can`t have them in series with the Eco-Worthy controller? (21.6 x 2 = 43.2V)

Actually Eco-worthy revised their stats on the controller up to 45v Voc. I follow two people that use it with 12v panels in series, one started well before the revision and they have had no ill effect to the controllers. Personally i feel that i get better results running larger 24v panels than they do 12v in series. I believe that the conversion from a lower Voc to 12v is better than the higher Voc. An example is I get a few amps less with a 245w mono panel than the guy running two 150w 12v panels in series. A 275w panel would match his results.

As much as I have enjoyed the Eco-w's, when I mount my gear I will buy a controller with more features such as temp compensation. I don't need it when I'm camping but rather as the trailer sits in storage. There it will see temperatures any where from -30 to 105 F. Right now the batteries live in the garage when we are not camping and I'm tired of moving the 8-D.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Okay, lessens time.

Voc of 21 - 22 is normal for a "12 Volt" panel. You do not want lower Voc than this because that means you will also have lower Vmp, and that's the number that matters when charging batteries. If it is too low to begin with the further Voltage drop caused by the panels heating up and wiring resistance may result in the Voltage at the battery not being sufficient to fully charge. In other words you could start out with Vmp of 16, lose a couple of Volts to hot panels and wire resistance, and only have 14 at the batteries which want to Absorb above that level; the batteries do not recharge.

Second, there is no difference between the function/performance of two 12 Volt panels in series and one 24 Volt panel providing the Vmp & Imp are exactly the same in each configuration. But they are not always the same, starting with some people calling GT panels with a Vmp of 30 "24 Volt". Nor do all "12 Volt" panels have the same Vmp.

Then, depending on which type charge controller is used, you have the conversion differences to a 12 Volt system. A PWM controller passes only current, so a 'standard' panel with a higher Vmp and lower Imp may actually provide less Watts out than one with the V*I ratio reversed. For example some "100 Watt" panels have a Vmp of 18.9 and Imp of 5.3. On a PWM controller you get 5.3 Amps max, regardless of battery Voltage. Another "100 Watt" panels may have a Vmp of 17.5 and Imp of 5.7. With that you will get more current and thus more power if all other factors (such as V-drop) are equal despite the fact the panels are the same Wattage. Put them on an MPPT controller however and the output is the same for either panel.

Voc has nothing to do with the charging ability; it does not exist under operating conditions. It only has bearing on the maximum input Voltage of the charge controller. If it is too high, some components in the controller may burn up. It does not matter if it is a cheap controller or an expensive one: exceed the V max in and it will fail sooner rather than later.

Do not try to find panels to fit a particular charge controller. Get a decent controller to begin with. Unless you are just experimenting with solar power, buying cheap equipment is a complete waste of money.
  • jimindenver
    Options

Well actually what I was referring to is the efficiency of converting from higher voltage to lower. Not only is there the example of a 300w system with two 12v in series producing less than a 275w grid panel, i also know of a 960w system using 160w 12v panels in pairs that I can easily out do with four 250w GT panels by 25%. I can easily max out a TS-MPPT-60 with four 250w polys. he is pulling 48a, not 60+. (I know his wiring, it's not there)

This started quite the debate on a RV forum until the manuals for the controllers came out and in them states that the efficiency drops as the difference between input and output increases. I believe Rogues manual was quoted as dropping 4% in efficiency and that wasn't even close to the loss when running really high voltage such as three or four GT panels in series and bucking it down to 12v. The numbers may be small for you but these are RV's and what we consider a good sized bank, you all laugh at. For us a little goes a long ways and lose 25% to a bad choice and you will be running a generator more than you like. Then again on a RV it starts with what fits on the roof, you don't always get to pick and chose.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Well actually what I was referring to is the efficiency of converting from higher voltage to lower. Not only is there the example of a 300w system with two 12v in series producing less than a 275w grid panel, i also know of a 960w system using 160w 12v panels in pairs that I can easily out do with four 250w GT panels by 25%. I can easily max out a TS-MPPT-60 with four 250w polys. he is pulling 48a, not 60+. (I know his wiring, it's not there)

This started quite the debate on a RV forum until the manuals for the controllers came out and in them states that the efficiency drops as the difference between input and output increases. I believe Rogues manual was quoted as dropping 4% in efficiency and that wasn't even close to the loss when running really high voltage such as three or four GT panels in series and bucking it down to 12v. The numbers may be small for you but these are RV's and what we consider a good sized bank, you all laugh at. For us a little goes a long ways and lose 25% to a bad choice and you will be running a generator more than you like. Then again on a RV it starts with what fits on the roof, you don't always get to pick and chose.

Your comparison is inaccurate because the basis isn't equal. As I said a "12 Volt" or "24 Volt" panel doesn't mean anything, neither does the Watts. I suspect that the example sited involved two "12 Volt" panels in series operating at Vmp 35 vs. a 275 Watt GT panel whose Vmp is 30; the lower Voltage wins in efficiency on an MPPT controller because it has to do less work to down-convert to a 12 Volt system. The actual efficiency loss for a 5 Volt difference is inconsequential compared to other loss potential.

You are quite right that three GT panels in series bucked down to a 12 Volt system would be quite inefficient. Not just on an RV system either. You could be losing 7% (or even more) of the power potential in fact, and yes the particular controller involved will also affect the outcome.

Too often people serve up anecdotal evidence as 'proof' when they don't actually know what they're talking about. The only way to compare two systems for evaluating efficiency is to eliminate environmental and operational variables, and that can't be done outside the lab.

So many times I've said that the PV formula for an RV is often "as much as you can fit" owing to space and insolation limits. The positioning of the panels can make an amazing amount of difference in conjunction with how they are wired. Any RV application is always "less than perfect" exposure.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

That cheap chinese horse is not dead YET ?
    Some must of read the battery & 45w thread !