Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: will shading outside HVAc compressors help at all?

Default will shading outside HVAc compressors help at all?

I'm pretty sure most of the cooling power of AC compressors comes from phase changes, but just curious will shading the outside compressors help at all?

what if they were installed underground? would that increase effciency since they would be cooling with cooler air temps?

Default Re: will shading outside HVAc compressors help at all?

Yes.
    You`d be amazed how much more heat you get in something sitting in direct sunlight. And if that something is trying to radiate heat it`s much worse.
    Putting one underground might be problematic for most cases, but that is essentially what a ground-source heat pump does.
    1220 Watts of PV, OB MX60, 232 Amp hrs, OB 3524, Honda eu2000.

Ohm's Law: Amps = Volts / Ohms
    Power Formula: Watts = Volts * Amps

Remember, full noon-time sun is around 1,000 watts per square meter worth of heat/energy. Anything you can do to help avoid having the A/C system move any "excess" heat will help.

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

I read somewhere not that long ago that shading the A/C condensor will save 10%.
    12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is, 4.2 kw APC UPS powered either by battery or a Prius. Really.

i agree shading it will help, but i would not place it underground as that is confining the heat the compressor is trying to get rid of.
    NIEL

This is an interesting thread. My two main AC units see full sun from about 11:30 am to about 4 or 5 PM. I always thought an awning over them might help. I wish the house had been designed with them on the east side but I do understand they were not really looking for our kind of efficiencies in 1997. They did place them next to a walk in closet for interior noise suppression.

I think I have some materials around to try a temporary sun shade over my compressors. When I get back from vacation I will try something out.
    My TED 5000 system
    Sticking it to the power company one watt at a time!
    60 Ningbo Electric 175 watt panels and 12 Canadian Solar 180 watt panels with 2 PVP 5200 Inverters

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...2-96/index.htm

apparently the increase is only around 3 % or less

and if you do it incorrectly you can actually cause the air flow to be compromised/short circuited so you decrease efficiency

some guys at this hvac forum thought it was a waste of time.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174372

I'll probably try it anyways. I've got tons of trellis I can use to shade it and hopefully not mess up the air flow.

Wonder how high above the unit I should put it? the document shows a red air flow at the end that goes up maybe 6 feet high.
    the experiemental trellis was only about a foot above the compressor, but that is fine because that particular compressor had a side discharge.

anyone try cool n save?
    basically it mists the incoming air.
    useless for high humidity, but if your air is dry makes sense.
    http://www.coolnsave.com/

http://www.amazon.com/CoolnSave-CNS1...rBy=addOneStar

not the best reviews. especailly if you have hard water.
    Last edited by rollandelliott; July 15th, 2012 at 20:36 PDT.

Quote Originally Posted by rollandelliott View Post
    apparently the increase is only around 3 % or less
    I'll probably try it anyways. I've got tons of trellis...
    Interesting that you found it was only 3%, but heck, 3% on such a large load over the life of a house is a big savings!

Mine are in full sun starting mid-day. A few years ago I thought about using trellis, too, but not horizontally. I was going to mount it vertically a foot or two away, high enough and placed just right so it provides shade when the sun comes around the side of the house. No need for something overhead unless you are in the tropics with a high sun angle. Then I was going to plant an ivy or other permanent climbing plant to fill in the trellis' holes for full coverage and beautification. Never got around to it but I still should do it. As I transition to mini-splits I'm going to put those condensors on the opposite side of the house where they will be in full shade all day.

Edit: meant to say vertically...
    Last edited by techntrek; July 17th, 2012 at 8:35 PDT.
    12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is, 4.2 kw APC UPS powered either by battery or a Prius. Really.

If you've ever read the instructions on a window Air unit, it suggests mounting in a windows out of the sun, if you switch a unit from one that gets full sun to a shaded window you will see a difference!

...Of course having put 3" of foam core in the sunny window made a huge difference as well....
    Home system- 20 - 200W Evergreen blems, 2 Classic Lites, E-Panel, 2 Prosine 1800 watt inverters, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, up and running 1 Classic Lite and 14 Suntech 185W in spare room.
    Experience with Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, Original Rouge CC, 80-4/5watt 6v panels, Odds and extras,