Thread: connecting small wind turbine directly to a light bulb.

Default connecting small wind turbine directly to a light bulb.

I have a small turbine. Puts out maybe 150watts if the wind is blowing well, I've never seen it produce more than 17volts. Could I just wire it directly into a 12v 100watt lighting fixture ...to get a little light in my back yard when it's spinning?

I have a battery bank, charge controllers, dump load... all that good stuff, but it's packed away in a storage shed a couple hundred miles away. I wont be able to get to that stuff for another couple of months. Sort of wanted to put up my wind turbine, I like watching it spin!

Default Re: connecting small wind turbine directly to a light bulb.

Ideally, you can make or buy a current mode buck converter... Takes variable input DC voltage and outputs a steady state DC current for LEDs (within the ability of the input voltage and current). Here is one example:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-SST-50-SST-90

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Be careful about letting lead acid batteries sit for very long without applying a charge. They typically self discharge 5 ~ 10% a month.
    6 SolarWorld 175 (1 KW), 14 Arco Solar 16-2000 (~1.5KW total), 15 REC 250 (3.75 KW) 2 KW 48V Whirlwind turbine, Outback 3648, 8 Dekka Solar L-16's, Outback FM80, Midnite Classic 150, Honda 2000i backup, & Generac 5KW.

Arashi was that 17v under a load or with the generator output connected to nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by 65DegN View Post
    Be careful about letting lead acid batteries sit for very long without applying a charge. They typically self discharge 5 ~ 10% a month.
    wow, I did not know that. I bet my batteries are dead. :( They had a full charge........ two years ago when I put them into storage. :(

Quote Originally Posted by john p View Post
    Arashi was that 17v under a load or with the generator output connected to nothing?
    I saw 17v during a storm once when winds were really howling. It was under load.

Yea, the batteries are probably toast... You can store flooded cell batteries for about 1 month without recharging... AGM batteries for about 3-6 months.

Hot and older batteries self discharge faster than new/colder batteries. For every 10C (18F) you cool a battery, a ~2x longer life.

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Quote Originally Posted by BB. View Post
    Yea, the batteries are probably toast... You can store flooded cell batteries for about 1 month without recharging... AGM batteries for about 3-6 months.

Hot and older batteries self discharge faster than new/colder batteries. For every 10C (18F) you cool a battery, a ~2x longer life.

-Bill

...any way to fix them?

Charge them about about a 5% rate of charge until they bubble well (flooded cell--monitor Specific Gravity for each cell as they are at full charge--If the SG continues to rise, try discharge/charge cycle again until SG stabilizes at full charge)--Discharge--Repeat 2-10x--Then buy new batteries.

If they are AGM--Depending on brand, there are some slightly different charging recommendations.

-Bill